Make us your home page

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

The Point After | This week's electronic conversation between John Romano and Gary Shelton

The Point After: Hard to believe interesting Tampa Bay Buccaneers season almost complete

GS: What? This season is over already? It seems as if it lasted only about 20 minutes. And by that, I mean the good times. This team's highlight film is going to pretty much ignore everything but December, right?

JR: Yeah, this could be one of those rare productions with a longer blooper reel than the actual feature. My favorite part is the exploding headsets they gave to the coordinators.

GS: And that revolving door they gave to Luke McCown and Byron Leftwich after committing the offseason to them. But for all of their flaws, John, the Bucs are playing well now. And there is something to be said for that, isn't there?

JR: Absolutely. It's what we've all been screaming about for three months. Just show us a clue that all of this misery has had some purpose. And in the past month, we've seen that. The question is how you view the scale. Did the Bucs generate enough improvement to make a 3-13 or 4-12 season somewhat tolerable?

GS: No. I'd rather have a root canal performed by Britney Spears than to watch this season again. The only thing that would make this worthwhile is a run at the playoffs next year. And that's a lot to ask. (But we will.)

JR: What concerns me is I'm not sure how many of the puzzle pieces have been found. The defensive line still needs help. They need better play at safety. The offensive line may need a new tackle, and the receivers need to be overhauled. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but is it too much to hope for Venice? Maybe Pisa?

GS: How about Pompeii, where the fans sort through the ashes? I agree, there are a lot of holes to fill. That's why this offseason is more important than this season.

JR: So where do you build first? If the Bucs want one of the top two defensive tackles, they may have to trade up. Would you consider giving up a second-round pick to get Ndamukong Suh or a third-round pick to get Gerald McCoy?

GS: I would certainly make the calls. But a lot of it depends on that silly trade value chart. If the Bucs finish fourth, it might take both picks (and change) to move to first. That's too much. I'd consider the lesser two to move up, but as good as Suh is, there are other needs.

JR: So if the price is too high for the defensive tackles, do you look elsewhere on defense or do you consider getting Josh Freeman a new best friend?

GS: It depends on the player and the grade, because there are plenty of needs. The Bucs need defensive linemen, but do they say no to Eric Berry if he's rated higher than the leftover tackles? Unless you're a scout, you're just guessing at this point.

JR: Having seen Gaines Adams and Dexter Jackson pass our way, I'd say some of the scouts are guessing, too.

GS: Are you saying the Bucs should trade up for better scouts? Last year's draft looks pretty good, but this one needs to be better.

JR: I'm quite sure I know what you're going to say, but did the Bucs hurt themselves by winning two games in December? They went from a potential shot at the No. 1 pick to probably drafting somewhere from No. 3 to No. 6. Kinda like the Colts in reverse. Did they try too hard?

GS: We won't know until next year. If this team really is learning to win, then winning is a good thing. If the Bucs are lousy next year, too, they'll pay for their success.

JR: Give me odds! What percent chance do they have of being in the playoffs next season? Of being a .500 or so team? Of being lousy? Of hiring you and me to be Glazer spokesmen?

GS: I'd say the over/under is 7. I would say that gives them a 33 percent chance of being in the playoffs, a 40 percent chance of being .500 and a 27 percent chance of lousy. Anything under six wins is trouble for Raheem Morris. As far as the Glazers, I'd say slim chance for you and none for me despite our obvious charm.

JR: Not to mention our unbridled optimism.

The Point After: Hard to believe interesting Tampa Bay Buccaneers season almost complete 01/02/10 [Last modified: Monday, November 7, 2011 5:47pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. FSU rallies to win ACC baseball tournament


    LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Cheered up by Florida State teammates after an error-prone moment, Drew Mendoza repaid his team with two bigger moments that helped the Seminoles hoist another trophy.

    Florida State’s baseball team celebrates its ACC baseball tournament championship after the Seminoles rally to defeat North Carolina 7-3 in the final.
  2. Rays at Rangers, 8:05 p.m. Monday, Arlington, Texas

    The Heater

    Tonight: at Rangers

    8:05, Globe Life Park, Arlington, Texas

    TV/radio: Fox Sports Sun, 620-AM, 680-AM (Spanish)

    PORT CHARLOTTE, FL - FEBRUARY 18:  Erasmo Ramirez #30 of the Tampa Bay Rays poses for a portrait during the Tampa Bay Rays photo day on February 18, 2017 at Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte, Floida.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
  3. Stanley Cup final preview: Don't count out Predators


    Either way, this Stanley Cup final is going to be historic.

    Nashville players celebrate after beating the Ducks in the Western Conference final to advance to the Stanley Cup final, where they meet the Penguins. [Associated Press]
  4. Weather issues slow Coca-Cola 600

    Auto racing

    CONCORD, N.C. — The longest race of the NASCAR season got even longer Sunday night.

    THE LEADER: Sebastian Vettel extends his points lead in Formula One after winning the Monaco Grand Prix.
  5. Rays blow lead, rally, blow lead, rally again to beat Twins in 15 (w/video)

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — The Rays sure made it interesting Sunday, taking an early lead, watching their beleaguered bullpen blow it, rallying to tie in the ninth, battling the Twins to take a lead in the 14th then giving it up again.

    MINNEAPOLIS, MN - MAY 28: Evan Longoria #3 of the Tampa Bay Rays celebrates scoring a run against the Minnesota Twins during the first inning of the game on May 28, 2017 at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images) 700010990