Eagles cut loose DE Kearse

PHILADELPHIA — The Freak show is over in Philadelphia.

After four mostly disappointing and injury-plagued seasons where he only showed glimpses of his feared pass rushing ability, the Eagles released defensive end Jevon Kearse on Thursday.

Kearse was in the middle of a $66-million, eight-year deal signed in 2004 that made him at the time the highest-paid defensive end in NFL history.

The three-time Pro Bowl selection from Florida failed to live up to the lofty expectations. His ineffective performance last year led to reduced playing time and landed him on the sideline.

Kearse recorded 3½ sacks in 14 games last season after missing most of the 2006 season with a knee injury. The move had been expected and comes a day before the free-agent signing period begins.

Kearse, nicknamed "The Freak," played in 45 regular-season games for the Eagles and recorded 133 tackles and 22 sacks. He was due to earn $6.46-million next season.

WR Fagg has surgery

Former Florida State receiver De'Cody Fagg had knee surgery on his left knee in Birmingham, Ala., and should be able to play despite fears to the contrary.

"Dr. James Andrews said the surgery went exceptionally well and he was excited," agent Kevin Conner said. "He unequivocally said that De'Cody will be able to continue his football career."

Fagg was injured during a passing drill at the combine in Indianapolis on Sunday and observers there described it as possibly "career ending."

What the injury and surgery will mean to his draft status is uncertain. He was projected as a second-day pick.

Browns: Quarterback Derek Anderson, who became the starter after the first game and led the team to a 10-6 record last season, was tendered a one-year offer for $2.5-million. But general manager Phil Savage said if another team makes the restricted free agent a better offer, Cleveland is unlikely to match it. Cleveland also has made a $20-million, three-year offer with $10-million guaranteed to Anderson. If Anderson does move, Cleveland would get first- and third-round choices for him.

Chargers: All-Pro fullback Lorenzo Neal was released, along with safety Marlon McCree and right tackle Shane Olivea.

Cowboys: Four-time Pro Bowl left tackle Flozell Adams was re-signed. The team called it a long-term agreement that likely guarantees Adams will finish his career in Dallas. The Cowboys also moved to keep three of their restricted free agents, putting tenders on Pro Bowl running back Marion Barber, defensive end Chris Canty and guard Joe Berger.

49ers: Beleaguered quarterback Alex Smith got a vote of confidence when the team exercised a multimillion-dollar buyback clause that essentially extends his deal through 2010. Smith, who floundered through injuries and a prolonged public argument with coach Mike Nolan last season, will compete with former third-stringer Shaun Hill and likely another veteran in training camp.

Patriots: Linebacker Tedy Bruschi has agreed to a multiyear contract, the Associated Press reported. The deal is expected to be signed today.

Rams: For the second time in three years, the team released wide receiver Isaac Bruce, the last player remaining from the team's 1995 move from Los Angeles. Bruce, 35, is third on the NFL career list with 14,070 yards receiving. Gus Frerotte, the backup quarterback the last two seasons, also was released.

Ravens: The team cut veteran center Mike Flynn, one of the last remaining cornerstones of its Super Bowl championship squad. Flynn, 33, was entering the final year of his contract.

Texans: The team agreed to a multiyear contract with receiver and kick returner Andre' Davis, the Associated Press reported.

Titans: The team cut ties with wide receiver David Givens and tendered one-year contracts to seven restricted agents, including All-Pro kicker Rob Bironas, tight end Bo Scaife and starting right tackle David Stewart. The Titans signed Givens in 2006, but the former Patriots receiver played in only five games that season before tearing his left ACL.

Jurisprudence: Former Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun pleaded not guilty to charges of assault and disturbing the peace stemming from a December confrontation in Denver with a taxi driver. His trial is scheduled for April 29. The Broncos released Sauerbrun, 38, shortly after the incident.

Times staff writer Brian Landman contributed to this report.

Eagles cut loose DE Kearse 02/28/08 [Last modified: Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:19am]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...