As the 2009 prep football season approaches, the Times will take a day-by-day look at each district involving a local team. Today we look at Class 4A, District 6.
Hudson, Ridgewood, River Ridge, Tarpon Springs, Wiregrass Ranch
Hudson and Wiregrass Ranch moved up from 3A to join the other three holdovers from 4A.
Three story lines
1. Spongers solid at the top: With Land O'Lakes moving up in classification, Tarpon Springs is the clear favorite to win the district. The Spongers have speed in the backfield with Ladarrius Only and Darius Daniels and physical offensive and defensive lines.
2. River Ridge's resurgence: The Royal Knights came on last season, winning three of their final four games. Included in that stretch was an upset of Springstead, which had playoff aspirations. The strong finish has River Ridge confident it can turn the corner this season.
3. Hudson is pass happy: The Cobras have the district's top returning quarterback in Zack Wynn, who has led Pasco County in passing the past two seasons. Expect Hudson to throw the ball more than any other team in the district.
Tarpon Springs at Hudson, Oct. 30: The district's top teams square off in a matchup that will most likely determine the pecking order for playoff spots.
District's five best players
1. Donovan Berardi, River Ridge: At 6 feet 3, 305 pounds, Berardi is one of the biggest offensive linemen in the district.
2. Adrian Golden, Tarpon Springs: The transfer from Gulf set a Pasco County single-season rushing record with 2,514 yards last year.
3. Scott Kujak, Ridgewood: The ambidextrous quarterback started the final six games last season and threw for 510 yards.
4. Broderick Lee, Tarpon Springs: The defensive lineman had 76 tackles last season and had five tackles for loss against Lakeland in the spring.
5. Zack Wynn, Hudson: The veteran quarterback threw for 2,035 yards last season and could throw for even more this year.
Predicted order of finish
1. Tarpon Springs
3. River Ridge
5. Wiregrass Ranch