First off, congratulations are in order for Zephyrhills.
The Bulldogs earned a 14-7 overtime win against Wesley Chapel, their first of the season. Can't help but feel good for them after the firing of coach Jerrell Cogmon on Day 2 of the preseason. Moving on, the playoff picture is beginning to take shape. Pasco and Mitchell will bang heads this week after both won key Class 3A, District 7 games to remain undefeated in the district. Hudson won and Wiregrass Ranch lost. Tarpon Springs is clearly the front-runner in Class 4A, District 6, but either the Cobras or Bulls are likely to grab the second playoff spot. They battle a week from Friday. That is the night Hernando and Nature Coast will meet possibly for a playoff berth in Class 3A, District 6. The Leopards win and they're in. The Sharks would need to win that game plus get help from a Crystal River loss. Class 4A, District 5 seems to be between Ocala Lake Weir and Gainesville, though Springstead continues to hang on to hope with just one district loss.
1. Pasco (6-1): Pirates' 28-16 win against Land O'Lakes sets up a huge game against Mitchell.
2. Mitchell (8-0): Mustangs running back Ricky Trinidad missed the second half Friday with back spasms. Will that play into this week's game with the Pirates?
3. Land O'Lakes (6-1): Gators suffer first loss of the season, but they are still very much in the hunt for a playoff berth.
4. Hernando (5-2): Leopards take care of business with win at Eustis.
5. Nature Coast (5-2): Sharks rebound from Dunnellon loss with win against Citrus.
6. Hudson (4-3): Cobras survive a scare against Ridgewood.
7. Wiregrass Ranch (4-3): The Bulls suffer a big setback with a loss to Tarpon Springs. Need to beat Hudson to make the playoffs.
|RB Jamal Roberts, Zephyrhills||Ran 12 times for 51 yards and scored the winning touchdown in overtime for the Bulldogs' first victory.|
|RB Freddie Jones, Mitchell||Took up the offensive slack after Ricky Trinidad missed the second half with back spasms. Jones had 90 yards on 13 carries and two touchdowns.|
|WR/DB Blake Burch, Wiregrass Ranch||In the Bulls' 44-7 loss to Tarpon Springs, Burch returned a kickoff 85 yards and completed a 40-yard pass.|
|RB Cameron Rodriguez, Ridgewood||In defeat, Rodriguez did all he could for the Rams against Hudson, rushing for 233 yards and one touchdown on 34 carries.|
|QB Zack Wynn, Hudson||Against Ridgewood, the senior passed for 168 yards and one score, rushed for 146 yards and another TD and scored the go-ahead points on a two-point conversion run.|
|RB Janarion Grant, Pasco||No touchdowns, but he was blazing across the field for 106 yards on 16 carries.|
|QB D.J. Clower, Pasco||Two running touchdowns and one passing overshadowed a pair of interceptions in a win against Land O'Lakes.|
|QB Stevie Weatherford, Land O'Lakes||Completed 16 of 27 passes for 270 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in a loss to Pasco.|
|RB Alvin Delaine, Hernando||Rushed for 116 yards and two touchdowns in a win against Eustis.|
|Nature Coast offense and defense||Sharks rebound with a 47-point effort and a shutout.|
|RB Devean Huff, Springstead||Rushed for 147 yards in a 26-0 win against Ocala West Port.|
|RB Madison Burr, Gulf||Ran 15 times for 168 yards and two touchdowns. Also had three receptions for 63 yards.|
Stat of the night
Wiregrass Ranch had 74 yards of offense in the first quarter against Tarpon Springs and minus-10 in the final three.
Times correspondent Chris Wagenheim contributed to this report.