North Suncoast Super 7
1. Sunlake (3-0): The Seahawks' dominant defense had nine sacks in a 15-0 win over Anclote. Springstead will present a different sort of challenge this week.
2. Pasco (2-1): If anyone needed a reminder of the Pirates' offensive scoring power, they answered with 27 points in the third quarter of a 35-0 win over Wesley Chapel.
3. Zephyrhills (3-0): Devin Brockington is quietly putting up a strong season. He had a touchdown catch called back by penalty, snagged one interception and broke up a pass in the end zone in a 17-9 win against Mitchell.
4. Springstead (2-1): Think the Eagles care that their first win (24-7) over Nature Coast in eight years came against a slightly depleted team?
5. Land O'Lakes (3-0): Any question about whether the Gators have put two rough seasons behind them?
6. Hernando (0-2): Now we'll see whether the Leopards' brutal non-district schedule will pay off as the race to the playoffs begins.
7. Mitchell (2-1): The Mustangs had their chances against Zephyrhills and held their own against one of Pasco County's top teams. But the offensive struggles are a concern.
"We've been escaping the last three games. We haven't gotten it done yet. All the fumbles and mental things. That's something we've got to fix by (this) week. … Maybe that's the key. Maybe that's the game we put it all together." — Reggie Roberts, Zephyrhills coach
"He's starting to come into his own." — Bill Browning, Sunlake coach, on breakout RB Nathan Johnson
Five performances worth mentioning again
RB Nathan Johnson, Sunlake: The bruising junior rushed for 164 yards and his team's only two touchdowns in a shutout win over Anclote.
QB Tyler Mahla, Springstead: He rushed for 187 yards and three touchdowns on 21 carries to give the Eagles their first win over rival Nature Coast in eight seasons. He also finished 8-for-12 passing for 78 yards and averaged 38 yards per punt.
QB RJ Perciavalle, Bishop McLaughlin: The senior rushed for 84 yards and all three of his team's touchdowns while passing for 228 yards in a 48-21 loss to Cambridge.
WR Jordan Roberts, Zephyrhills: His coach estimated Roberts was limited to 65 percent of his usual speed because of a groin injury. He was in for a key play and caught a 30-yard touchdown to help seal a 3-0 start.
RB Noah Siegrist, Hudson: He rushed for 235 yards and two touchdowns on 30 carries in a 35-22 win over Weeki Wachee.
By the numbers
4 Touchdowns on Friday by Pasco ATH Malik Johns: two receiving, one rushing, one kickoff return
0 Offensive touchdowns allowed by Sunlake through three games
105 Rushing yards by Hernando's Ra'shaad Hart in a 26-6 loss to Citrus
864 Passing yards by Land O'Lakes QB James Pensyl through three games
3 Combined wins for all six teams in Class 5A, District 7. That's two from Hudson and one from River Ridge
Three thoughts on Week 4
1. Pasco County's first trip to Bushnell in a while will be a big one. Don't be surprised if Zephyrhills' matchup at South Sumter has playoff, or maybe district championship, implications.
2. The Springstead-Sunlake winner takes the pole position for a district title in Class 6A, District 6. Expect a lot of rushing yards and little scoring.
3. Despite being shut out in its first two games, River Ridge's 21-14 victory over Wiregrass Ranch has the Royal Knights looking like playoff contenders. Seriously.