1. Largo (8-0, 4-0): Clinched eighth straight district title and won 30th straight district game with dominating performance against Lakewood Ranch.
2. Countryside (3-6, 2-2): Sure, the Cougars had to forfeit six games, but it's hard to knock them down in this ranking considering what they've done on the field.
3. Lakewood (7-1, 6-1): Can't see dropping the Spartans after staying with a state championship-caliber Robinson team in a district loss.
4. East Lake (6-2, 2-0): Eagles have the week off to prepare for Class 8A, District 7 showdown with Palm Harbor University.
5. CC Catholic (7-1, 2-0): Another strong defensive effort against Lemon Bay gives Marauders their fourth shutout this season.
6. Palm Harbor University (6-2, 2-0): Used the bye week trying to devise ways to slow East Lake's passing game with district title on the line.
7. Osceola (6-3, 3-1): Secured a winning season with a win over Dixie Hollins and now plays Lakewood Ranch for the runnerup spot in Class 6A, District 7.
Derek Barnes, Calvary Christian: The running back scored four rushing touchdowns, all on runs of 40 yards or longer, to help his team beat Bradenton Christian and keep its playoff hopes alive in Class 2A, District 5.
Robert Hedgeman, Dunedin: Led defense that held Middleton to negative yards on offense and one first down via a penalty. He had six tackles, three for loss, and caused a fumble.
Denzal Dillard, Boca Ciega: Had two touchdown runs against Tarpon Springs, one for 38 yards and one for 15, to help lead Boca Ciega to its second win of the season.
Five things we learned
1. Largo is on a run that deserves notice. The Packers secured their eighth straight district championship with a 38-0 win over Lakewood Ranch.
2. Osceola can make the playoffs with a win next week, thanks to a formidable running attack. The Warriors rushed for 296 yards and six touchdowns against Dixie Hollins. Do that again and the playoffs are a lock.
3. Clearwater Central Catholic can win with defense. The Marauders have four shutouts and have now held two teams to fewer than 100 yards of offense.
4. Dunedin is turning it around. After starting 1-3, the Falcons have won three of their past four and should finish with a winning record considering they play Lennard and Dixie Hollins the last two weeks.
5. Northeast took advantage of its second chance at the playoffs. With Countryside's forfeits, the Vikings needed a win against Seminole. They won 35-0. And how about this second quarter: Northeast scored on runs of 97 and 77 yards by Keith Harrington, and 95 yards by Ryan Davis.
Friday is the last week of district play. A look at how they shape up:
8A-7: Palm Harbor U. and East Lake are atop the four-team district. The only thing left to decide is who is champ. That will be answered Friday.
5A-8: Robinson is the champ, Lakewood is the runnerup. Even if Lakewood were to lose Friday, it still has the tiebreaker over Jesuit.
Battle for second
6A-7: Largo is the champ. What matters is Friday's game between Osceola and Lakewood Ranch. The winner goes to the playoffs, the loser does not.
3A-5: Clearwater Central Catholic is the champ. Tampa Catholic and Berkeley Prep play Friday for the second playoff spot.
Up for grabs
7A-9: Countryside's forfeits confuse things. Northeast and Pinellas Park are both 3-1 in the district with winnable games Friday. Northeast plays at Clearwater and Pinellas Park is at Seminole. Assuming both win, Pinellas Park is champion, Northeast is second. If Pinellas Park were to lose and Countryside beats St. Petersburg, then Countryside could slip into the second playoff spot. If Northeast were to lose and Pinellas Park wins, Northeast still gets the second playoff spot. It will take another week to figure this one out.
2A-5: Admiral Farragut plays Cambridge Christian on Friday. If the Blue Jackets win, they are the champs. Carrollwood Day plays Calvary Christian. If the Warriors win they are in the playoffs because they own tiebreakers over Indian Rocks Christian and Carrollwood Day. If Carrollwood Day wins, it will be guaranteed no worse than a runnerup spot.