North Suncoast Super 7
1. Springstead (8-1, 4-0): The Eagles sealed their second straight 6A-6 district title with a 34-21 win over Land O'Lakes. They'll host Citrus in the first round of the playoffs after facing Hernando next week.
2. Sunlake (8-1, 3-1): The Seahawks clinched the second playoff spot in 6A-6. They'll travel to Gainesville for the first round Nov. 15.
3. Pasco (6-3, 4-2): The Pirates are on their way to the playoffs for the seventh consecutive season after beating 9-Mile War foe Zephyrhills 24-16.
4. Zephyrhills (7-2, 4-2): The Bulldogs' loss to Pasco keeps them out of the playoffs, but the season isn't over yet. Zephyrhills faces Sunlake next.
5. Land O'Lakes (7-2, 2-2): The Gators fell to 6A-6 champ Springstead 34-21 after a second-half rally fell short. The Gators end the season at Lecanto.
6. Anclote (6-3, 5-0): The Sharks clinched their first district title by beating 5A-7 foe Hudson 35-14. Anclote travels to state-ranked Clearwater Central Catholic next week, then will host Tarpon Springs in a region quarterfinal.
7. Hudson (6-3, 4-1): The Cobras lost 35-14 to Anclote but earned their first playoff appearance since 2009. After playing Fivay, Hudson travels to Lakewood for its first postseason game.
Winless no longer
With three playoff-deciding games, Gulf's 48-0 victory over Wesley Chapel was lost in the shuffle. Avery Welch threw for three touchdowns, all to James Grubb. The victory was the first for first-year coach Jason Messamore, and it ended the Bucs' 20-game losing streak. The 48-point output is more than Gulf scored all of last season (29) but a decrease from the week before. The Bucs are averaging 23 points in their past four games.
Performances worth another mention
Wiregrass Ranch DB Devin Duckett: His two interceptions in a 33-13 loss to Freedom boosted his total to eight this season.
Springstead RB Latavious Hannah: The senior had a third-quarter interception against Land O'Lakes that helped seal a district championship.
Sunlake RB Nathan Johnson: His 163-yard night was his eighth consecutive 100-yard game. He averaged almost 14 yards per carry to ensure the Seahawks a playoff spot.
Land O'Lakes QB James Pensyl: The senior was 23-for-29 for 298 yards against Springstead and doubled his season rushing yards total by running for 101.
Gulf ATH Montavious Reed: The senior returned an interception and a punt for touchdowns in the Bucs' first win of the season.
"The kid is just a warrior and a half." — Jay Fulmer, Ridgewood coach, on sophomore RB Glass Wilson, who rushed for 200 yards and three scores, including the winner, during a 17-point fourth quarter against River Ridge. He has more than 1,500 rushing yards and 15 TDs on the season.
"We had a tough week of practice. The coaches kept us after a couple of times." — Daniel Wright, Springstead RB, on the importance of winning instead of settling for a tiebreaker.
Times correspondents Darek Sharp and Alejandro Tamayo contributed to this report.