Make us your home page

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Wharton LB remains in coma, family questions circumstances

TAMPA — Sean McNamee went up for a pass before football practice this week, and he came down with a fractured skull, a swollen brain and injuries so severe that doctors couldn't promise they would save him.

"I don't know that he's going to live …" the doctor told his father. "Take your wife in, and take your daughter in, and say goodbye to him."

Two days later, the 16-year-old Wharton High School junior was still in a medically induced coma at Florida Hospital Tampa, and his father was left with unanswered questions.

Why was a paint machine left near the practice field, where Sean's head could slam against it? In a time of heightened awareness toward concussions, why didn't anyone call an ambulance?

Todd McNamee knows accidents are a part of football, but if his son was too injured to remember his locker combination, how did the school let Sean slip away and drive himself home?

"I gave my son to Wharton High School that morning," Todd said. "I had every right to expect him to come home in the same shape as I sent him in — maybe a little bit smarter."

Sean grew up in a football family — his dad and grandfather both played and coached — but his varsity career started late.

He was ruled ineligible at Tampa Catholic as a freshman because he participated in summer practices at Wharton, his zoned school. As a sophomore at Wharton, he just missed becoming academically eligible.

Sean got a math tutor on his own to boost his GPA before his junior season, so he could impress recruiters and try to play college football before joining the Marines. Two weeks ago, the 6-foot-2 linebacker scored his first varsity touchdown, returning a fumble 83 yards in a 21-18 win over East Bay.

"This was it," his father said.

On Wednesday, Sean and his teammates were throwing the ball around before practice.

Drills hadn't yet started, so Sean wasn't wearing a helmet when he jumped over a defender for a pass near the end zone. When he landed, his head smacked the corner of a paint machine used to line the practice field, according to his family and a teammate.

Players heard the crash, and two teammates took him inside to see the school's athletic trainer. One player said Sean was grabbing the left side of his head, just above his ear, in obvious pain.

"I think he knew right then that he was very, very seriously injured," his dad said Friday during an interview down the hall from his son's room in the intensive care unit.

Hillsborough County Public Schools spokesman Steve Hegarty said in a statement that Sean "indicated that he thought he was fine" to the school trainer and veteran coach David Mitchell.

"Based on what they observed and Sean's responses to their questions, the coach and trainer made several decisions with Sean's best interest in mind," Hegarty said.

The trainer called Jody McNamee, telling her that her son had suffered a serious head injury and she should pick him up. Sean was so dazed, his family said, that he forgot the combination to his locker.

But somehow Sean slipped out of the training room, got in his car and drove 4 miles home.

"How can you tell a kid who has a head injury to just sit and expect him to stay there?" Todd said. "He's delirious."

The district said it is still gathering facts to learn how Sean left the school and how he was supervised after the injury.

"Though our main focus is on supporting the family and all the concerned classmates who are worried about him," Hegarty said, "the district is investigating to determine exactly what happened before the team practice on Wednesday."

When Sean got home to his 10-year-old sister, he was unable to dial his mom's number. By the time his dad arrived, Sean couldn't hold an ice pack against his head. He mumbled gibberish.

Todd begged his son to stay awake, but Sean lost consciousness as his dad drove to the hospital. He woke up enough to plop into a wheelchair.

A CT scan revealed a fractured skull. Sean's brain was swelling, and blood was collecting inside his head. Before the doctor rushed Sean to surgery, he told the McNamees he'd do everything he could to save Sean. His family gathered to say goodbye.

"I thought that was it," Todd said. "I thought I had seen the last of my son, alive."

• • •

Doctors induced a coma after removing the bloody tissue from Sean's head. They're keeping a part of his skull incubated in his abdomen so they can reattach it to his brain when the swelling goes down.

The McNamees don't know if Sean will recover enough to walk or play football or use the driver's license he recently earned. They don't know if he'll come back with the same goofy sense of humor. They don't know if he'll ever wake up.

"He's not out of the woods by any means," Todd said.

But Todd's been overwhelmed by the support he's received in the third floor of the hospital.

A string of visitors, including Wharton's coach, has filed into Sean's room. Teammates and classmates supported him on Twitter with the hash tag #PrayForSean and hung a sign with that same message behind Wharton's bench at Friday's game against Steinbrenner. Cheerleaders wore white ribbons with Sean's jersey number, 2, on their uniforms.

"All of those people have expressed nothing but love for him," said Todd, his voice cracking. "For a kid of 16 to touch people like that is about the proudest thing a parent could have."

Even in their grief, the McNamees understand Sean's injury was an accident. Unused equipment like helmets and footballs litter the sidelines at practically every practice in the country.

While they haven't discussed legal action, they haven't ruled it out either.

"I'm not grinding an ax here," Todd said. "That could be anybody's kid lying in the bed."

But as they watch their son lying motionless in the ICU, waiting for the swelling in his brain to subside, they have hours to ponder unanswered questions.

"It was a tragedy," said Sean's grandfather, Doug, "but it was a preventable tragedy."

Matt Baker can be reached at or on Twitter @MattHomeTeam.

Wharton LB remains in coma, family questions circumstances 10/11/13 [Last modified: Friday, October 11, 2013 11:38pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Tim Tebow Week: 12 stories from his Tampa Bay tour


    Alas, Tim Tebow Week — eight baseball games in eight nights that reunited Tebow with his Tampa Bay friends and admirers — is over. The fun ended Thursday night.

    St. Lucie Mets outfielder Tim Tebow meets fans and signs autographs before the beginning of the Mets at Threshers game at Spectrum Field on Thursday, Aug. 17, 2017 in Clearwater. DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD   |   Times

  2. Bucs journal: Kicker Nick Folk has up and downs against Jaguars


    JACKSONVILLE — If the Bucs had hoped for a drama-free night in their kicking game, they'll have to wait another week.

    Bucs kicker Nick Folk celebrates one of his two made field goals against the Jaguars, but he also misses a field goal and has an extra point blocked.
  3. Bucs top Jaguars behind strong first half



    There is a reason why the air in Tampa Bay is filled with playoff talk. If Thursday night's 12-8 Bucs preseason win over the Jaguars is any indication, it's also going to be filled with footballs thrown by quarterback Jameis Winston.

    Doug Martin gets the Bucs’ only touchdown  on a 2-yard run, squeaking past linebacker Telvin Smith in the first quarter. He has five carries for 30 yards.
  4. Rays journal: Archer has strong outing, with two mistakes

    The Heater

    TORONTO — Two pitches RHP Chris Archer didn't execute are the ones that stood out Thursday as Josh Donaldson hit them out of the park. But the two solo home runs aside, Archer turned in a sterling outing that went atop the pile of good pitching the Rays keep wasting.

    Rays starting pitcher Chris Archer (22) works during the first inning. [Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press via AP]
  5. Tim Tebow continues wowing fans as he wraps up bay area games


    CLEARWATER — Tracey Fritzinger has seen Tim Tebow play baseball a few times this year. The 40-year-old St. Petersburg resident went to two of his games against the Tampa Yankees, along with Joy, her little sister from Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

    St. Lucie Mets outfielder Tim Tebow, middle, hangs out in the dugout during Thursday night’s game against the Clearwater Threshers at Spectrum Field, the last of St. Lucie’s eight-day trip to the Tampa Bay area.