Rain75° WeatherRain75° Weather

Giants DE says he's ending holdout

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora is returning to work for the Giants without a new contract.

In an e-mail to the Associated Press on Sunday evening, Umenyiora said he plans to practice today at training camp and will play this season under the terms of his current contract.

Umenyiora said he rejected the Giants' offer to put incentives in his contract, which will pay him $7.1 million over the next two seasons.

"No deal has been reworked," Umenyiora wrote. "What has been offered has been unacceptable and shows they don't really respect the fact I sacrifice my health for the franchise. I will play under my current deal because I love and respect my coaches, my teammates, the fans, and myself. Not for those incentives."

The nine-year veteran hasn't practiced since reporting to training camp on July 30, a day late. He failed to report on time because he alleged that general manager Jerry Reese told him after last season that the team would rework his contract.

Reese has refused to discuss what was said between them.

Umenyiora, 29, shared the team lead with 11.5 sacks last season and had a league-high 10 forced fumbles.

In other Giants news, an MRI exam showed that placekicker Lawrence Tynes has a bruised right thigh, and coach Tom Coughlin said he wasn't sure how long he will be out.

PRYOR STILL HOPEFUL: Representatives for Terrelle Pryor have had talks with commissioner Roger Goodell's office to make a case for Pryor being declared eligible for Wednesday's supplemental draft, according to ESPN.

"We have been in discussions with the Commissioner's office over the past week to address the NFL's concerns," Pryor's lawyer, David Cornwell, said in a statement. "I am confident that once the NFL has a full understanding of the facts, Terrelle will be part of Wednesday's supplemental draft."

COTCHERY TALKS: New Steelers receiver Jerricho Cotchery, commenting for the first time since his surprising release by the Jets last week, confirmed that he wanted out because he didn't see himself in the team's plans.

"It was time for a change, time for a change of scenery for myself and the organization as well," Cotchery told the Pittsburgh media. "It was time to move on. Future-wise, I didn't really see myself fitting in."

In other Steelers news, starting guard Chris Kemoeatu, who opened training camp on the physically unable to perform list because of swelling in one of his knees, was activated and practiced with the team.

FALCONS: Tight end Anthony Becht, a former Buc, worked out with Atlanta, ProFootballTalk reported. Becht, 34, was out of the league last season.

49ERS: Quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who hasn't played in the NFL since 2009, will work out for the club this week, ProFootballTalk reported. Culpepper, 34, the former UCF standout, made three Pro Bowls in nine seasons.

PATRIOTS: Linebacker Niko Koutouvides, who spent the past two seasons with the Bucs, agreed to terms. Koutouvides, 30, has 101 special-teams tackles in seven seasons.

REDSKINS: Shayne Graham was cut, leaving incumbent Graham Gano, a former FSU standout, as the lone kicker at camp. Graham shanked a 29-yarder and missed a 49-yarder Friday against the Steelers.

Giants DE says he's ending holdout 08/14/11 [Last modified: Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:04pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...