Top five girls teams
1. Mitchell. The top four players return including defending Sunshine Athletic Conference champ Megan Van Etten.
2. River Ridge. Four of the top five players return from a team that placed fourth at the district and conference tournaments.
3. Hernando. Behind Lauren Shuford and senior returners Lexi Lexvold and Tanvi Patel, the Leopards should contend for a region spot.
4. Zephyrhills. Last season's team that finished third at the SAC tournament and a distant fifth at the A-9 championship featured no seniors among its top five scorers.
5. Springstead. No. 1 player Desiree Dipiano graduated, but everyone else returns as well as newcomers (and experienced golfers) Samantha Glenny and Sara Fetter. Top five boys teams
1. Mitchell. Eleven players return from last season's SAC co-championship team, including Kenny Cavender and junior Chaz Heinz, who were top-10 placers at the SAC tournament.
2. Ridgewood. Everyone is back from a team that finished 9-1 in SAC play last season. Jordan Padova will be joined by freshman younger brother Austin.
3. Land O'Lakes. Stanford inherits three of the top five players from last season's district runnerup team, led by Josh Barnett. The Nos. 2 and 3 players, Austin Costa and Brad Renner, also are seniors.
4. Central. The two-time defending district champ lost three seniors from last year's club, but also lost three from the year before. Watch for senior Palmer Berberette, who shot 37 on the back nine at Southern Hills in the '07 HCAC tournament.
5-tie Springstead. Clearly, the Eagles' fortunes hinge on Kevin Hubbard, but junior Ryan Kiely and sophomore Shane Murphy provide a nice 2-3 punch.
5-tie Wesley Chapel. Coach Alan Black has three sophomores who played nearly every match last season, led by No. 1 player Brandon Mumaw.
Joey Knight, Times staff writer