BOSTON — David Ortiz became the latest key Red Sox player to go on the disabled list.
Ortiz was placed on the 15-day DL Wednesday with a strained right Achilles tendon. The DH did not rupture or tear the tendon, a second MRI exam confirmed.
"It's probably going to be a week to 10 days before he's ready to go and take a little batting practice," manager Bobby Valentine said. "We'll give him a little extra time on the outside so he's ready to go when he comes off."
The Red Sox called up INF Mauro Gomez from Triple-A Pawtucket to fill Ortiz's spot on the roster.
Ortiz was injured while rounding second base on 1B Adrian Gonzalez's homer Monday night. He said he felt "lots of pain" but didn't feel a pop.
The slugger leads the Red Sox with a .316 average, 23 homers, 58 RBIs and a .414 on-base percentage. He joins a Boston DL contingent that has included 2B Dustin Pedroia, CF Jacoby Ellsbury, LF Carl Crawford, RHPs Josh Beckett and Clay Buchholz and OF Cody Ross.
DRAFT SPENDING: Spending by teams in baseball's amateur draft dropped by 11 percent in the first year of restrictions imposed by the new labor contract.
Teams allocated $207.7 million to draft picks, down from $233.6 million last year, according to figures compiled by Major League Baseball. The decline in the first round was more pronounced, a 17 percent fall from $89.5 million to $74.3 million.
"We think that the system performed well in its initial year," said Rob Manfred, MLB's executive vice president of economics and league affairs. "It accomplished the goal, in our view, which was to allow the weakest teams with the best opportunities to get the best talent."
Critics of the system disputed that, saying teams repeatedly called prospects with firm offers then drafted the best players who would accept. Notably, Stanford RHP Mark Appel fell from the projected top pick to the Pirates at No. 8 and declined to sign when Pittsburgh offered $3.8 million, the most it could without incurring a penalty.
"Clubs that wanted to pick the players they wanted couldn't," said Scott Boras, Appel's adviser. "Because of the system, they could not spend what was needed to sign the best player. They had to make alternate choices. That's not what the draft was designed to do."
TUCKER SIGNS: Former Plant High and Florida standout Preston Tucker signed with the Astros, meaning all nine Gators selected in the draft last month have signed. The seventh-round pick was assigned to the Class A Tri-City Valleycats of the New York-Penn League. Tucker ended his four-year career as UF's all-time leader in games played (265), total bases (596), at-bats (1,035), hits (341) and RBIs (258).
VOTTO DEFENDS DELAY: Reds 1B Joey Votto defended the decision to wait more than two weeks before getting an MRI exam that found torn cartilage in his left knee. Votto was hurt June 29 but didn't get an exam because he didn't think the injury was serious. "I was improving, so I would say nobody's at fault here," he said. In other Reds news, OF Xavier Paul was called up from Triple-A Louisville.
BLUE JAYS: 3B Brett Lawrie bruised his right calf when he flipped over a railing trying to catch a foul in the third inning against the Yankees. X-rays were negative and he is day to day.
BREWERS: LF Ryan Braun was out of the lineup a day after aggravating a groin injury. … RHP Zack Greinke, who was scratched from his scheduled start because of exhaustion, is set to return to the rotation Tuesday.
D'BACKS: RHP Trevor Bauer, the first pick from the 2011 draft to reach the majors, was demoted to Triple-A Reno after posting a 6.06 ERA in four starts.