Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

NHL union forgoes dissolution for now as talks expected to resume Thursday

NEW YORK — Negotiations to end the NHL lockout faced a critical tipping point Wednesday as the sides exchanged proposals again and the players' self-imposed deadline to dissolve their union passed with no action apparently being taken.

Related News/Archive

The union membership voted last month to authorize the leadership to disclaim interest, but only until midnight Wednesday. A disclaimer of interest would effectively dissolve the union and allow individual players to file antitrust suits against the NHL for continuing the lockout, which reaches its 110th day Thursday.

After the talks broke up around 1 a.m. Thursday, union executive director Donald Fehr would not say whether the union had filed to disclaim interest. It was an internal matter, he said. But media reports said a filing had not occurred.

Even if the union declined to disclaim interest Wednesday, the leadership could still do so at a later date, but only if the rank and file authorized it in another vote. The leadership will ask players for authorization again if talks don't soon produce a deal, ESPN reported.

Complicating talks Wednesday was a hitch over the players' pension fund, which is of great importance to the union. The union has proposed that players finance the pension plan but owners would be responsible for covering any potential shortfalls. The owners appeared to be balking at assuming that risk.

Under the collective bargaining agreement that expired in September, 75 percent of the pension fund was financed by the owners and 25 percent by the players.

The pension plan is a very complicated issue, "but that is something we understand is important to the players," commissioner Gary Bettman said after talks ended early Thursday.

The offers made by the union and then the league Wednesday were the fourth and fifth exchanged since Dec. 27, when the NHL extended a proposal that jump-started the current round of talks.

Fehr said the sides moved closer but a lot of work remained to be done. "The differences relate to the core economic issues," he said. They include the salary cap for the 2013-14 season. The league wants it at $60 million, the players in the $65 million-$67 million range. This season's cap is $70.2 million.

A federal mediator was brought back into the talks this week at the agreement of both sides, Bettman said. The mediator wanted the sides to reconvene at 10 a.m. Thursday, he said.

"As long as the process continues, I am hopeful," Bettman said.

Fehr said the union expected to continue bargaining. The group of players who have attended the talks this week include the Lightning's Marty St. Louis.

Bettman has said he wants the labor situation settled by Jan. 11 so a 48-game schedule could begin no later than Jan. 19.

That negotiations for a new agreement were reignited last week did not come as a complete shock to Lightning left wing Ryan Malone, who believes a stout players association forced owners to move some of their positions closer to those of the players.

"They probably thought we were going to cave in and they would get everything," Malone said after Wednesday's skate at the Ice Sports Forum in Brandon. "Now they're like, 'Maybe we can get what we can get and move on.' "

Times staff writer Damian Cristodero contributed to this report.

NHL union forgoes dissolution for now as talks expected to resume Thursday 01/02/13 [Last modified: Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:01am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rays late-night bullpen shuffle: Alvarado, Pruitt down; Kolarek up

    Blogs

    The Rays shuffled their bullpen again after Tuesday's game, sending down struggling LHP Jose Alvarado along with RHP Austin Pruitt to Triple-A Durham, and turning next to LHP Adam Kolarek, who will make his major-league debut at age 28,

  2. Rays journal: Alex Cobb brilliant, Alex Colome worrying in 10-inning victory (w/video)

    The Heater

    PITTSBURGH — RHP Alex Cobb couldn't have been much better for the Rays on Tuesday, taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning while working eight solid. And Alex Colome couldn't have been much worse, blowing a two-run ninth-inning lead.

    Rays starter Alex Cobb carries a no-hitter into the seventh and pitches eight shutout innings in his best outing of the season.
  3. Marc Topkin's takeaways from Tuesday's Rays-Pirates game

    The Heater

    RHP Alex Cobb continues to look better and better, which could make the decision whether to trade him tougher. Cobb had a no-hitter through six and threw his biggest pitch with a 1-0 lead in the seventh, getting Josh Bell to roll into a double play.

  4. For good of the Rays, Tim Beckham should embrace move to second

    The Heater

    PITTSBURGH — The acquisition of slick-fielding shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria said a lot of things, most notably that the Rays are serious about making in-season moves to bolster their chances to make the playoffs, with a reliever, or two, next on the shopping list.

    PITTSBURGH, PA - JUNE 27:  Tim Beckham #1 of the Tampa Bay Rays celebrates with teammates after scoring during the eighth inning against the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park on June 27, 2017 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Joe Sargent/Getty Images) 700011399
  5. Rays at Pirates, 7:05 p.m. Wednesday, Pittsburgh

    The Heater

    Tonight: at Pirates

    7:05, PNC Park, Pittsburgh

    TV/radio: Fox Sports Sun; 620-AM, 680-AM (Spanish)

    PORT CHARLOTTE, FL - FEBRUARY 18:  Blake Snell #4 of the Tampa Bay Rays poses for a portrait during the Tampa Bay Rays photo day on February 18, 2017 at Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte, Floida.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)