Mostly Cloudy75° WeatherMostly Cloudy75° Weather

League: $100M is lost so far

NEW YORK — The financial losses are starting to pile up as a result of the NHL lockout. Tuesday, the league made that public.

After the day's talks ended between the NHL and the NHLPA, deputy commissioner Bill Daly estimated the NHL has lost $100 million in revenues from the canceled preseason.

"Today," he said, "was not overly encouraging."

And though they can pick up at any time, there are no further talks scheduled. That only increases speculation that regular-season games could be lost, with an announcement this week. The season was slated to begin Oct. 11; the Lightning was supposed to open Oct. 13.

Tuesday's bargaining focused on defining hockey-related revenue, and featured NHLPA head Donald Fehr, his brother, Steve, the special counsel to the union, and Jets defenseman Ron Hainsey.

"They have made some incremental moves," Donald Fehr said. "It's clear that the players have made substantial moves towards the owners and the owners have made substantial moves away from the players."

Also, Russia's Kontinental Hockey League announced it will broadcast games in the United States online, on ESPN3. Today's Dynamo Moscow-Ak Bars Kazan game will be the first one shown.

SIGNINGS: Bruins captain Zdeno Chara signed with Lev Praha, a Prague-based club in the KHL, during the lockout. … Predators forward Craig Smith signed with KalPa, a Finnish team part-owned by fellow NHL players Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell.

League: $100M is lost so far 10/02/12 [Last modified: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:58pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...