What bettors need to know
Tampa Bay Downs in Oldsmar, Derby Lane in St. Petersburg and Tampa Greyhound Track open at 10 a.m. today to take Derby bets. Some tips before you go:
The basics: Post time for the Derby is 6:32 p.m. Don't be in line at 6:31 and risk being shut out.
The lingo: Identify your horse by its saddlecloth number. Because there has been two scratches, some saddlecloth numbers do not match the post position numbers. Tellers take bets by horse saddlecloth numbers, not names. If you want to bet $2 to win on, for example, Wicked Strong, say, "In Race 11 (the Derby) at Churchill Downs, give me $2 to win on 20."
The bets: The minimum bet is $2 with the most simple wagers being win, place and show. If you have a horse you really like, bet it to win. If you're not totally confident of a win but believe it will be in the hunt, bet it to place (first or second) or show (first, second or third).
Kentucky Derby field, odds
Hoppertunity, which drew the No. 11 post position and thus the 11 saddlecloth number on Wednesday, was scratched Thursday because of a sore left front foot. Pablo Del Monte, which replaced Hoppertunity, pulled out Friday. The No. 1 spot in the starting gate will be empty and the 19 horses will use posts 2 through 20.
SC Horse Trainer Jockey Odds*
1. Vicar's in Trouble Mike Maker Rosie Napravnik 20-1
2. Harry's Holiday Mike Maker Corey Lanerie 50-1
3. Uncle Sigh Gary Contessa Irad Ortiz Jr. 30-1
4. Danza Todd Pletcher Joe Bravo 8-1
5. California Chrome Art Sherman Victor Espinoza 5-2
6. Samraat Rick Violette Jr. Jose Ortiz 15-1
7. We Miss Artie Todd Pletcher Javier Castellano 50-1
8. General a Rod Mike Maker Joel Rosario 15-1
9. Vinceremos Todd Pletcher Joe Rococo Jr. 30-1
10. Wildcat Red Jose Garoffalo Luiz Saez 15-1
12. Dance With Fate Peter Eurton Corey Nakatani 20-1
13. Chitu Bob Baffert Martin Garcia 20-1
14. Medal Count Dale Romans Robby Albarado 20-1
15. Tapiture Steve Asmussen Ricardo Santana Jr. 12-1
16. Intense Holiday Todd Pletcher John Velazquez 8-1
17. Commanding Curve Dallas Stewart Shaun Bridgmohan 50-1
18. Candy Boy John Sadler Gary Stevens 15-1
19. Ride On Curlin William G. Gowan Calvin Borel 15-1
20. Wicked Strong James A. Jerkens Rajiv Maragh 6-1
SC: Saddlecloth number * Morning-line odds
Weights: 126 pounds. Purse: $2,177,800 if 19 start. First place: $1,417,800. Second: $400,000. Third: $200,000. Fourth: $100,000. Fifth: $60,000