JACKSONVILLE — Maurice Jones-Drew made good on his promise.
The Jaguars running back said in June that he would be ready to go at the start of training camp. On Tuesday, two days before the team reports, coach Gus Bradley said Jones-Drew had been cleared by team doctors to start practice with his teammates on Friday.
"I'm extremely, extremely excited by the progress he's made," Bradley said. "The biggest thing with us as a staff, is to be really smart with Maurice."
Jones-Drew hurt his left foot, later diagnosed as a Lisfranc injury, in October.
He missed all offseason practices and the minicamp for veterans in mid June.
"It's been a long time coming. I'm excited to get out there, run around and play," Jones-Drew said. "Not playing football for 10 months, you get out of football shape a little bit, but I feel like after a week or two I'll be able to get out there to do what I need to do to be ready."
Pro Bowl: Hawaii is open to giving the league flexibility if it wants to alternate the game between Honolulu and other locations, said David Uchiyama, vice president of brand management for the Hawaii Tourism Authority.
Bills: Defensive lineman Mark Anderson was released one year after signing a four-year deal with the team.
Broncos: The team released linebacker Joe Mays, who lost his starting job then broke his left leg last season.
Browns: Left guard John Greco agreed to terms on a five-year extension.
Chiefs: Safety Sanders Commings fractured his left collarbone in his first practice when he landed on it while trying to defend a pass.
Colts: Running back Ahmad Bradshaw was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list. The former Giant is trying to return from January surgery on his right foot.
Cowboys: Defensive end Anthony Spencer (left knee) will need arthroscopic surgery.
Jets: Looking to give kicker Nick Folk some competition, the team signed Billy Cundiff to a one-year deal. … As expected, receiver Santonio Holmes (left foot) was placed on the PUP list.
Ex-RB Johnson arrested: Former running back Larry Johnson, 33, pleaded no contest to charges that he choked an ex-girlfriend into unconsciousness and left her only in her underwear in a Las Vegas hotel hallway.