VANCOUVER — Roberto Luongo is still open to a trade no matter how long it takes the Canucks to deal him.
The star goalie returned to the ice for an informal workout with his teammates Friday while facing an uncertain future.
Luongo was displaced as the No. 1 goalie by Cory Schneider during last season's playoffs. After the season, Luongo said he would waive his no-trade clause if asked. But general manager Mike Gillis couldn't swing a deal before the lockout began in September. And trades are prohibited until the players ratify the new labor deal, which could happen today.
"I told (Gillis) I was ready to go as long as it took," Luongo said. "Whether it's a couple days, next week, two weeks, at the end of the season, it's totally fine with me."
Training camps are expected to open Sunday. Luongo will be there, although he expected to be gone from Vancouver by now.
"If you asked in May last year, I would have said no," he said.
Luongo, 33, acquired from the Panthers after the previous lockout canceled the 2004-05 season, isn't worried about his future. He admitted his current plight would have stressed him out if he was still in his 20s.
"I've matured in the sense where I can handle adversity (better) than I did back then," Luongo said. "That's why I've been really calm about the whole situation. I've been able to enjoy it even though it's not an easy situation. The fact that I'm so comfortable here will make it much easier."
Capitals: Doctors determined center Nicklas Backstrom did not sustain a concussion when he fell into the boards Dec. 26 while playing in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League. "It was more the neck," said Backstrom, who missed 40 games last season because of a concussion. "Stiffness and all those kinds of things. Nothing serious."
Ducks: Scott Niedermayer, the playoff MVP when Anaheim won the Stanley Cup in 2006-07, was hired as an assistant. The former defenseman spent the past two seasons working in the team's player development system. His duties have not been determined, but he won't go on all road trips.
Sabres: Wing Jochen Hecht agreed to re-sign for one year. Financial terms were not disclosed. He missed 60 games last season because of concussions.