McCourt camp issues warning to Selig, MLB

LOS ANGELES — Commissioner Bud Selig hasn't acted in good faith by rejecting a proposed television deal involving the Dodgers and appears determined to run Frank McCourt out of the sport, an attorney representing the embattled owner said Tuesday.

A day after Selig announced he wouldn't approve a Dodgers TV deal with Fox Sports — reportedly worth up to $3 billion — lawyer Robert Sacks questioned the commissioner's intentions and warned that any potential takeover of the team by Major League Baseball would be met with resistance.

"There seems to be a predetermined result to drive Frank out of baseball without a good faith basis," Sacks said. "This isn't going to go away quietly."

The transaction would have provided McCourt with $385 million up front and was vital to a binding settlement reached between him and his ex-wife and former Dodger CEO Jamie McCourt last week. McCourt could miss a June 30 team payroll, and that could lead to an MLB takeover.

PUJOLS upbeat: 1B Albert Pujols said he felt healthy enough to be in the Cardinals lineup despite a broken left wrist that's likely to sideline him for six weeks. "To tell you the truth, I feel like I can play," he said. "I'll just be positive and be in the lineup before you know it." St. Louis called up 1B Mark Hamilton from Triple-A Memphis.

JETER HEALING: Yankees SS Derek Jeter resumed onfield work, throwing for the first time, including long toss, since going on the 15-day disabled list last week with a strained right calf.

EX-CLOSER RETIRES: RHP Chad Cordero, who had 113 saves in three seasons with the Nationals before arm injuries derailed his career, retired from baseball. Cordero, 29, finished with 128 saves in seven seasons.

CLEMENS SAGA: Prosecutors asked a judge to limit what Roger Clemens' attorneys can say in his upcoming steroids trial about a sexual assault investigation involving former trainer Brian McNamee, his chief accuser, that government lawyers said could "inflame the jury."

ASTROS: RF Hunter Pence is still having trouble with his sprained left elbow and likely won't return until Friday.

BLUE JAYS: Manager John Farrell said a team meeting was held to clear the air after LHP Ricky Romero said the offense relied too much on Jose Bautista and Adam Lind.

BRAVES: 3B Chipper Jones returned to the lineup after missing four games with a right adductor strain. … Former Rays INF Julio Lugo, 35, was called up from Triple-A Gwinnett.

DODGERS: Closer Jonathan Broxton, out six weeks with a bone bruise in his right (pitching) elbow, had the first of two scheduled rehab outings at Triple-A Albuquerque. SS Rafael Furcal, out since June 4 with a strained left oblique muscle, might begin a rehab stint Monday.

METS: SS Jose Reyes, who can become a free agent after the World Series, told the team he's not interested in negotiating a new contract during the season.

ORIOLES: 2B Brian Roberts needs more rest to recover from a concussion sustained May 16 and won't return until after the All-Star break.

WHITE SOX: RHP Jake Peavy is set to come off the disabled list for a second time this season and start today's game.

McCourt camp issues warning to Selig, MLB 06/21/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:29am]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...