Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Mets GM Alderson okay after collapse

NEW YORK — Mets general manager Sandy Alderson collapsed and appeared to faint during a news conference at Citi Field on Wednesday.

Alderson, who was announcing a contract extension for manager Terry Collins, fell while answering questions from reporters, some of whom quickly grabbed him to slow his fall. Alderson was down for about 30 seconds.

Alderson, 68 on Nov. 22, was able to get up, and after taking off his jacket and being helped into a chair, he quipped, "Okay, where were we?" He eventually walked out of the interview room on his own.

Alderson had been standing on a platform and answering questions for about 13 minutes when he collapsed.

After leaving the interview room, Alderson was examined by the Mets' training staff and was "fine," a team spokesman said. Alderson didn't have breakfast before the news conference and felt light-headed, the spokesman said.

Before Alderson collapsed, he announced the two-year deal for Collins, who led the Mets to the World Series this year for the first time since 2000.

WIN FOR O'S: A New York state judge threw out an arbitration decision that said the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, which is controlled by the Orioles, owes the Nationals about $298 million for Washington's 2012-16 broadcast rights. The network had sued over the June 2014 arbitration decision, saying it was improper because the law firm that represented the Nationals, Proskauer Rose, at times worked for Major League Baseball and the teams of all three arbitrators. The network also said it was not fair that Major League Baseball gave the Nationals a $25 million loan in August 2013 in anticipation it would be repaid from higher broadcast revenue.

NEW GM FOR REDS: The Reds promoted Dick Williams to general manager as part of a "succession plan" for Walt Jocketty, 64, who will stay on as director of baseball operations for now. Williams, 44, has been in the team front office for 10 years, most recently as assistant general manager.

greinke on market: Right-hander Zack Greinke opted out of the final three years of his contract with the Dodgers, giving up a guaranteed $71 million to become a free agent again. Greinke, 32, led the majors with a 1.66 ERA this season. Also, Mets bench coach Bob Geren joined the list of candidates for the Dodgers' managerial job.

GORDON DECLINES OPTION: All-Star outfielder Alex Gordon, 31, of the World Series champion Royals declined his player option and will test free agency for the first time.

INDIANS: The team declined its $3 million option for next season on veteran outfielder and former Durant standout Ryan Raburn, 34.

WHITE SOX: The team declined a $10 million option on shortstop Alexei Ramirez and owes the former All-Star a $1 million buyout. Ramirez, 34, could be a target for the Rays.

Mets GM Alderson okay after collapse 11/04/15 [Last modified: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 9:43pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. For starters: Rays at Orioles, with Cobb on hill, Beckham in lineup

    Blogs

    UPDATE, 3:46: After sitting out Thursday in recovering from extraction of a tooth, former Rays SS Tim Beckham is in the Orioles lineup tonight for his first game against his ex-mates, batting leadoff and playing short.

  2. Bucs defensive end Chris Baker (90) is seen during training camp last month at One Buc Place. [LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times]
  3. Bucs' defensive attributes in opener included flexibility

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It's a blink-and-you-miss-it nuance, but in Sunday's opener against Chicago, on their very first defensive snap, the Bucs lined up in a 3-4 defense.

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter shakes hands with cornerback Brent Grimes (24) before an NFL game between the Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla., on Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017. LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times 

  4. Bucs-Vikings: What if O.J. Howard and Dalvin Cook had both been taken?

    Bucs

    So what if the Bucs had taken neither O.J. Howard nor Dalvin Cook with the 19th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft?

    Bucs tight end O.J. Howard (80) makes a reception as Chicago Bears free safety Eddie Jackson (39) tackles him Sunday at Raymond James Stadium. [LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times]
  5. Wish the Bucs had taken Dalvin Cook? Read this

    Bucs

    It will happen sometime Sunday afternoon.

    Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook (33) carries the ball in the second quarter Monday night, Sept. 11, 2017 at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn.  (Jeff Wheeler/Minneapolis Star Tribune/TNS)