STORRS, Conn. — The NCAA on Friday turned down Connecticut's request for a waiver that would allow its men's basketball team to play in the 2013 national championship tournament.
UConn doesn't qualify for the tournament because of below-standard academic results. It requested a waiver last month.
The school proposed alternate penalties, including playing a shorter schedule next season, forfeiting the revenue awarded to the Big East for participating in the 2013 tournament and barring coach Jim Calhoun from meeting offcampus with recruits during the fall 2012 contact period.
UConn president Susan Herbst said the school will appeal.
Under rules approved in October, a school must have a two-year average score of 930 or a four-year average of 900 on the NCAA's annual Academic Progress Rate, which measures the academic performance of athletes.
The defending national champions would be academically ineligible in 2013 because the NCAA plans to use data from the 2009-10 and 2010-11 academic years. The UConn men scored 826 for 2009-10. Their score for 2010-11 is expected to be about 975. That would give Connecticut a two-year score of 900.5 and a four-year average of 888.5.
Walter Harrison, chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Academic Performance, has said the body will meet Feb. 20 to discuss whether to adjust reporting dates to allow schools to use their most recent data in qualifying for tournaments.
For the 2013 men's basketball tournament, that would mean scores from the 2010-11 and 2011-12 academic year. UConn would qualify for the tournament under that scenario.
No. 25 Harvard 56, Penn 50: Corbin Mille and Kyle Casey scored 17 apiece and the Crimson (21-2, 7-0) remained perfect in the Ivy League and beat the Quakers for the sixth straight time.