Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Romano fades out of 200 free at Olympic trials

Megan Romano

Megan Romano

OMAHA, Neb. — In the end, Megan Romano simply wasn't strong enough.

Romano, a 17-year-old swimmer from St. Petersburg, started fast in her heat in the women's 200-meter freestyle Tuesday morning at the U.S. Olympic trials but faded as it went on. She finished sixth in 2 minutes, 1.91 seconds, almost a second slower than her fastest time.

"It was hard," Romano said. "It was harder than I thought it was going to be. I just didn't have the endurance."

Romano was diagnosed with mononucleosis three weeks ago, and she suspects she had been infected three weeks earlier. As a result, some of her pre-trials training was eliminated, and other parts were reduced.

"I guess that training is a big part of everything," she said. "That hurt me."

Just before she was diagnosed with mono, Romano set her personal best in the event, 2:00.98. As it turns out, all 16 women who advanced to the semifinals swam in under two minutes. One of them was Chelsea Nauta, a former Tampa Prep star now at Georgia. She qualified ninth in 1:59.73. In the semis, she was last in the field, with a time three seconds behind top qualifier Katie Hoff, who did 1:57.10.

For a while, it appeared Romano was going to be in the semis. She was in first place at the first turn of her heat and second at the second. But she slipped to third at the third turn before finishing sixth. Overall, she was 46th out of a field of 103.

Romano said she will continue to swim in her events at the trials, although she and coach Fred Lewis have discussed dropping out of the 200 backstroke.

Romano fades out of 200 free at Olympic trials 07/01/08 [Last modified: Wednesday, July 2, 2008 8:22am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Bucs defensive end Chris Baker (90) is seen during training camp last month at One Buc Place. [LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times]
  2. Bucs' defensive attributes in opener included flexibility

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It's a blink-and-you-miss-it nuance, but in Sunday's opener against Chicago, on their very first defensive snap, the Bucs lined up in a 3-4 defense.

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter shakes hands with cornerback Brent Grimes (24) before an NFL game between the Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla., on Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017. LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times 

  3. Bucs-Vikings: What if O.J. Howard and Dalvin Cook had both been taken?

    Bucs

    So what if the Bucs had taken neither O.J. Howard nor Dalvin Cook with the 19th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft?

    Bucs tight end O.J. Howard (80) makes a reception as Chicago Bears free safety Eddie Jackson (39) tackles him Sunday at Raymond James Stadium. [LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times]
  4. Wish the Bucs had taken Dalvin Cook? Read this

    Bucs

    It will happen sometime Sunday afternoon.

    Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook (33) carries the ball in the second quarter Monday night, Sept. 11, 2017 at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn.  (Jeff Wheeler/Minneapolis Star Tribune/TNS)
  5. Bucs-Vikings: What could make Tampa Bay's defense elite again

    Bucs

    TAMPA — The last time the Bucs had a top-five defense also happens to be when they last appeared in the postseason.

    Bucs outside linebacker Lavonte David (54) celebrates after recovering a fumble by Chicago Bears quarterback Mike Glennon (8) during the first half. [LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times]