Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Phillips latest to get extension from Reds

Second baseman Brandon Phillips, right, gets emotional at a news conference announcing his six-year contract while accompanied by Reds manager Dusty Baker, left, and owner Bob Castellini.

Associated Press

Second baseman Brandon Phillips, right, gets emotional at a news conference announcing his six-year contract while accompanied by Reds manager Dusty Baker, left, and owner Bob Castellini.

CINCINNATI — With every big deal, the low-revenue Reds show that they're serious about winning.

Cincinnati made another significant financial commitment Tuesday, giving All-Star 2B Brandon Phillips a six-year, $72.5 million contract. That came five days after former NL MVP Joey Votto got 10 years and $225 million added to his deal.

"I think this puts us in a pretty good position to build around two premier players on the everyday side, and with some of the pitchers we have to be a contending club for years to come, hopefully," GM Walt Jocketty said. "It's not easy. A lot of things have to go right for you.

"But we're getting deeper and deeper in talent. That's what it's going to take in a small market."

Phillips was so thrilled that he had to keep himself from crying at a news conference to announce the deal. He said he had implored his agents to find a way to keep him in Cincinnati.

"I cried about this. This is where I wanted to be," Phillips said. "I'm still … you know … loss of words right now, for me to play in the city I really love. The fans have embraced me and they love me and I love them back."

The Reds gave RF Jay Bruce a $51 million, six-year deal after the 2010 season. Since then, they've given LHP Aroldis Chapman a $20.25 million, six-year contract, RHP Johnny Cueto a $27 million, four-year deal and LH reliever Sean Marshall a $16.5 million, three-year agreement.

HITCH IN SALE: Major League Baseball and Fox Sports have raised minor concerns but do not plan to try to block the $2.15 billion deal that will transfer ownership from Frank McCourt to Guggenheim Baseball Management, a group that includes Magic Johnson. Fox asked for explicit written assurances that rival Time Warner Cable is not part of the Guggenheim group. The Los Angeles Times reported that TWC is not involved.

PADRES ON MARKET: Padres owner John Moores said he has retained a pair of investment bankers to seek a new owner for the franchise. Moores' proposed sale of the team to former agent Jeff Moorad collapsed last month after fellow owners refused to approve to proposed transfer of controlling owner. In other Padres news, RHP Dustin Moseley's shoulder has "extensive damage," manager Bud Black said. Moseley went on the disabled list April 8 with a strained right shoulder.

TROUBLE FOR GUERRERO: Former major-league star Vladimir Guerrero said he has surrendered to police after authorities contend he attacked a police officer in a Dominican disco. Guerrero denied being part of an attack. Police said no charges have been filed against Guerrero after the mayhem in Nizao, about 40 miles from Santo Domingo.

ANGELS: RH reliever Michael Kohn, on the disabled list with a strained flexor tendon, had a setback while playing catch and is scheduled to visit noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews.

A'S: RH reliever Joey Devine will miss the season after having reconstructive surgery on his right elbow for the second time in three years.

BLUE JAYS: Closer Sergio Santos will be away from the team at least through Saturday to be with his wife for the birth of their first child.

D'BACKS: RF Justin Upton was scratched with a jammed left thumb.

INDIANS: C Carlos Santana signed a five-year, $21 million contract, locking up a 26-year-old "cornerstone" player the team believes is only beginning to tap into his potential.

MARINERS: SS Brendan Ryan was benched for an "accountability issue," manager Eric Wedge said. No details were given.

METS: 3B David Wright has a broken right pinky and was removed from the starting lineup. The team said surgery is not required, and doctors cleared Wright to return to baseball activities as soon as he can tolerate them.

NATIONALS: 1B Mike Morse, on the disabled list with a strained lat, was pulled from a rehab start with soreness and is not expected to be ready to play in the home opener Thursday.

RANGERS: 2B Ian Kinsler agreed on a new $75 million, five-year contract. The deal would start next season and replace a $10 million team option for 2013.

TIGERS: INF Brandon Inge, on the disabled list with a strained left groin, began a rehab assignment tonight at Triple-A Toledo and might return to the majors this weekend.

Phillips latest to get extension from Reds 04/10/12 [Last modified: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:27pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. For starters: Rays at Twins, with Cobb pitching with a purpose

    Blogs

    UPDATE, 12:34: Cash said he has been pleased with Sucre's work and is trying to find playing time for him. ... Cash also said after reading Farquhar's comments about having trouble re-focusing after getting out of a jam and then going back out for a second inning he will factor that in to how he uses him. ... …

  2. St. Petersburg's Sebastien Bourdais vows to return for IndyCar finale

    Auto racing

    INDIANAPOLIS — Sebastien Bourdais was in one of the best race cars he'd ever had, so fast that most of his competitors thought he would win the pole for the Indianapolis 500.

    Sebastien Bourdais does physical therapy at the Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana in Indianapolis. Bourdais broke his pelvis, hip and two ribs in an accident during qualifying for the Indianapolis 500 on May 20. He plans to return home to St. Petersburg soon to continue therapy. [Associated Press]
  3. Yellow cards stall Rowdies offense in tie with St. Louis

    Soccer

    ST. PETERSBURG — It's not the result they wanted, but it certainly could have been worse. Neill Collins' 87th-minute header off a corner kick was the reward the Rowdies settled for Saturday night during a 1-1 draw with St. Louis before an announced 6,068 at Al Lang Stadium.

  4. Calvary Christian routs Pensacola Catholic to win state baseball title

    Baseballpreps

    FORT MYERS — Calvary Christian left no doubt as to which baseball team in Class 4A was the best in Florida this season. The Warriors defeated Pensacola Catholic 11-1 in six innings Saturday night at Hammond Stadium to claim the school's first state championship in any team sport. It also solidified a 30-0 season. …

    Matheu Nelson celebrates after scoring on a wild pitch during the first inning, when Calvary Christian took a 6-0 lead.
  5. Numerous lapses add up to frustrating Rays loss to Twins

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — While the Rays made some good defensive plays, threw a couple of big pitches when they needed to and got a few, and just a few, key hits, there were some obvious things they did wrong that led to them losing Saturday's game to the Twins 5-3:

    Rays reliever Tommy Hunter says the Twins’ tiebreaking homer came on a pitch that was “close to where I wanted it.”