The week ahead
Some of the can't-miss events in Pinellas County this week:
• Swimming, Countryside at Clearwater, 6 today: An early-season matchup between rivals. The toughest competition will most likely be on the girls side. The Cougars return Melanie Margalis, the defending state champion in the 200 individual medley, along with a talented group of underclassmen. The Tornadoes' top returner is Megan Rossi, a distance specialist who finished fourth at state in the 500 free last year.
• Swimming, St. Petersburg at Palm Harbor University, 6 today: The Hurricanes' boys and girls begin their quest for conference titles with a tough matchup against one of the south county's best programs.
• Volleyball, St. Petersburg Catholic at Berkeley Prep, 6 today: Not exactly a tuneup match for SPC, the Barons open the season on the road at Berkeley, one of the bay area's premier programs.
• Swimming, Seminole at Northeast, 6 Wednesday: The Warhawks' Kaitlin Frehling, a Florida recruit who is a two-time state champion in the 50 free and 100 fly, is the headline swimmer in this marquee meet. The Vikings are trying to cope with the loss of Megan Romano, the state's 2008 female swimmer of the year. But the Vikings have reinforcements, thanks to some transfers and other young swimmers.
• Golf, East Lake Invitational at Wentworth Golf Club, 1 Saturday: Challenging course awaits some of the county's top golfers at this premier 18-hole tournament.