ASHBURN, Va. — Albert Haynesworth didn't show. Teammates called him selfish. Now the Redskins want their money back.
The Redskins will try to recoup all or part of a $21 million bonus from the disgruntled two-time All-Pro defensive tackle, the Associated Press reported Wednesday. The team decided to take the action after Haynesworth, 29, failed to report for a mandatory two-day minicamp.
Though coach Mike Shanahan declined to make the team's plans public, the players had plenty else to say about a player who has collected his money but doesn't want to play for them because he doesn't like the new defense.
"Albert made a very selfish decision," veteran linebacker London Fletcher said. "When you decide to play a team sport, you have to look at it and think about everybody involved in the situation. This is not golf, tennis, things like that, where it's an all-about-you sport. What he's decided to do is make a decision based on all-about-him."
Shanahan revealed that he told Haynesworth in February that the Redskins would agree to release him and let him go to another team — in exchange for not paying the $21 million bonus due April 1.
"Obviously, he took the check," Shanahan said, "so I was surprised he wasn't here. … Don't take our check and then say that, hey, you don't want to be part of our organization."
The Redskins can fine Haynesworth up to $9,442 for missing the minicamp practice. He has been paid $32 million of the $41 million guaranteed in the seven-year, $100 million contract he signed as a free agent last year when he chose the Redskins over the Bucs, who reportedly had offered more.
A full-fledged attempt to recoup the bonus would likely turn into a drawn-out process that would certainly be challenged by the players union. The Redskins will look for certain language in Haynesworth's contract to make their case.
If Haynesworth plays for Washington again, there are fences to mend.
Defensive end Phillip Daniels said, "I think I speak for every guy on this team: We all feel like he turned his back on us."
Center Casey Rabach: "It's getting to be selfish. He's hurting the team. It doesn't sit well with the players. … You can't really count on him right now."
Longer season: NFL and union officials discussed adding two games to the regular season when they held their first negotiating session since February. The current collective bargaining agreement expires in March. The league proposed going from four preseason games and 16 in the regular season to two and 18. Quarterback Tom Brady and linebacker Ray Lewis expressed concern about the damage extra regular-season games could do to players' bodies. The first season that could have an expanded schedule would be 2012.
Favre surgery: Orthopedic surgeon James Andrews said there were no problems with last month's arthroscopic procedure that removed scar tissue and bone spurs from quarterback Brett Favre's left ankle. Favre, who will be 41 in October, likely has a few more weeks of rehab before he will decide whether to return for a 20th NFL season. He has a deal with Minnesota that pays him $13 million if he plays.
Giants: Wide receiver and punt returner Domenik Hixon will miss the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee returning a punt on the FieldTurf surface during a workout at the New Meadowlands Stadium.
Jets: Darrelle Revis cleared the air with coach Rex Ryan after the All-Pro cornerback's protest of his stalled contract negotiations earlier this week. Revis is due to make $1 million in the fourth year of his six-year rookie deal, but he wants to be the league's highest-paid cornerback. … The team announced it is taking advance orders for its new, limited-release commemorative wine, called Jets Uncorked. The 2008 cabernet sauvignon was created to celebrate the opening of the New Meadowlands Stadium.
Titans: Running back Chris Johnson, who lives in Orlando but was back in Tennessee for a youth camp, told the Tennessean newspaper, "I can't play for $550,000," referring to what he's scheduled to make in the third season of his five-year, $12 million contract. Johnson, who became the sixth back to run for at least 2,000 yards, said he wants to be the highest-paid offensive player in the NFL and has not attended workouts. The team reports for camp July 30.