Report: Kahne to Hendrick in 2012
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Kasey Kahne completed a deal to drive for Hendrick Motorsports in 2012 but still needs to iron out his plans for next season, the Associated Press reported.
Hendrick is at NASCAR's four-car limit, and Kahne is working out a deal to succeed Mark Martin in the No. 5 car in 2012. Martin has one season left on an extension he signed last year, and owner Rick Hendrick plans to honor that deal.
"I've actually thought a lot about that, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do next year," Kahne said Tuesday. "I've given it some thought, though."
Earlier in the day, Richard Petty Motorsports said Kahne informed the team he's leaving at the end of this season.
"Kasey is a very talented driver, and I have enjoyed watching him race," team co-owner Richard Petty said. "We all wish him nothing but the best and hope he succeeds in anything he chooses to do."
Among Kahne's options for 2011 are a potential ride with Stewart-Haas Racing, which has an alliance with Hendrick, another Chevrolet team, or, should Martin opt out of the final year of his contract, Kahne could get the No. 5 a year early.
A spokesman for Hendrick said the team owner was traveling and not available for comment.
Although he has 11 career wins and two berths in the Chase for the Championship, Kahne has not felt he's had the equipment to contend for a title.
Driver out: Kelly Bires was released by sponsorship-strapped JR Motorsports, which is finding it difficult to develop young drivers without corporate backing. Dale Earnhardt Jr. created the team to develop drivers in NASCAR's second-tier Nationwide series. Bires drove JRM's flagship No. 88. Danica Patrick drives the No. 5 part time.
Woods sends in entry form for U.S. Open
Tiger Woods hasn't said how many events he'll play in this season, but he apparently has plans for June 17-20.
The world's No. 1 golfer took the first step toward playing the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach by sending in an entry form. The USGA said it received Woods' entry Monday, a day after he tied for fourth in the Masters.
Even players such as Woods who are exempt from qualifying for the U.S. Open must apply to play.
Jankovic holds on after rough start
No. 2 seed Jelena Jankovic wanted a workout in her opening match at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, S.C.
She almost got knocked out of the tournament.
Jankovic shook off a slow start to advance to the round of 16 with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 over unseeded Edina Gallovits.
Meanwhile, No. 13 seed Melanie Oudin defeated fellow American Jill Craybas 6-3, 6-1.
Serena a wild card: Top-ranked Serena Williams asked for and received a wild-card entry for next month's Italian Open in Rome, signaling that she's ready to return from a lingering knee injury. She has been sidelined since her Australian Open title in January.
Monte Carlo Masters: Fourth-seeded Marin Cilic started his claycourt season with a shaky win, rallying from a set down to beat Igor Andreev 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 6-4 in the second round.
Boxing: Wladimir Klitschko wants a heavyweight title unification fight with David Haye, and he doesn't want to hear any more excuses. Klitschko is calling out the British WBA champion, who has never followed through on vows to take the title belts of Klitschko and his brother, Vitali. Wladimir is the IBF and WBO champion, while Vitali holds the WBC belt.
Soccer: Chelsea defeated visiting Bolton 1-0 to go four points ahead of Manchester United in the English Premier League race.