RALEIGH, N.C. — Peyton Manning has told teams he plans to make a decision on his future Monday or Tuesday, the NFL Network reported Friday, as the race to sign the NFL's only four-time MVP and most prized free agent of the offseason heated up.
The teams believed to still be in the running to sign Manning are the Titans, Broncos and 49ers. All involved teams are comfortable working off Manning's previous contract with the Colts, which was five years for $90 million, or an average of $18 million per year, the Denver Post reported.
Manning phoned the Dolphins on Thursday to advise them he'll sign elsewhere, the Associated Press reported. The team has turned its attention to free agent Matt Flynn.
Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said his team was no longer in the running for Manning and would move on with Kevin Kolb. Kolb remained on the roster at a 4 p.m. deadline Friday, ensuring him a $7 million roster bonus the Cardinals would not have paid if they had landed Manning.
Manning threw at Duke's athletic fields Friday for the Broncos. The workout lasted a little under two hours, he came off the field about 4 p.m., and the Broncos contingent left about the same time.
"We enjoyed visiting with Peyton today in N.C.," Elway said on Twitter. "He threw the ball great and looked very comfortable out there."
Manning worked out for 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh on Tuesday night at Duke, according to media reports, and he told the Titans he would throw for them today.
Manning has been rehabilitating in North Carolina after a series of neck surgeries, which forced him to miss the 2011 season. Manning's uncertain health led the Colts to release him March 7, a move that triggered a flurry of meetings and visits with other teams.
The 49ers had been working to re-sign quarterback Alex Smith, the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2005. Smith and Manning are represented by agent Tom Condon.
More broncos: Bucs free agent linebacker Geno Hayes was scheduled to visit.
Raiders dump high-priced lb: Raiders linebacker Kamerion Wimbley was released one year into a $48 million, five-year deal in the latest cost-cutting move under new general manager Reggie McKenzie. That means the Raiders are no longer on the hook for an additional $4.5 million of Wimbley's guaranteed money for 2012. "We tried to make it work, but just too many constraints with (the) Raiders cap situation," Wimbley's agent, Joe Linta, told the Associated Press. The Raiders have cut seven players this offseason, including five starters from 2011's 8-8 team.
chargers: Charlie Whitehurst is in and Billy Volek out as quarterback Philip Rivers' backup. Whitehurst agreed to a two-year contract to return, and Volek was released.
chiefs: Tight end Kevin Boss, who spent last season with the AFC West rival Raiders, signed a $9 million, three-year deal.
falcons: John Abraham, the team's top pass rusher, agreed to terms on a three-year deal. Terms were not available.
giants: Punter Steve Weatherford agreed to terms on a five-year deal worth $12.75 million.
Jets: Quarterback Drew Stanton agreed to a $1.25 million, one-year contract to back up Mark Sanchez.
ravens: Six-time Pro Bowl center Matt Birk agreed to a three-year contract to stay with the team. Terms were not available. Birk, 35, has started every game in three seasons with Baltimore.
Redskins: Tight end Fred Davis signed his one-year franchise tender guaranteeing a base salary of $5.416 million in 2012.