Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Report: No-trade vows broken

All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes and left-hander Mark Buehrle, two of the five Marlins who were traded to the Blue Jays last week, say the team broke verbal promises not to trade them, foxsports.com reported.

The Marlins do not award no-trade clauses, but club officials apparently assured Reyes and Buehrle that they would not be traded before signing them as free agents last offseason, according to the website.

Buehrle and his wife Jamie were concerned about the Marlins' history of dumping high-priced players but were reassured by team president David Samson.

Jamie, according to the website, was emotional while talking with Samson after learning of the trade Tuesday.

"I spoke to Mark Buehrle. He said he was sorry things didn't work out," Samson said during a radio interview. "I said, 'I'm as sorry as you that things didn't work out.' "

The website also reported that Reyes was emphatically told he would not be traded.

Reyes, 29, agreed to a six-year, $106 million deal before the season. Buehrle, 33, rejected a three-year offer from the Nationals to sign a four-year, $58 million contract.

Meanwhile, the Marlins agreed to a deal with veteran outfielder Juan Pierre, 35. Terms were not available.

MANAGER SEARCH: The Blue Jays could announce their next manager within days, ESPN.com reported.

Former big-league managers Jim Tracy and Jim Riggleman are the favorites to replace John Farrell, who left last month to take over the Red Sox.

Tracy resigned from the Rockies last month after the team finished 64-98. Riggleman last managed in the big leagues for the Nationals in June 2011, when he abruptly quit. He has since been managing for the Reds' Double-A affiliate in Pensacola.

DICKEY TALKS: The Mets plan to offer National League Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey a two-year contract extension, foxsports.com reported.

It's unknown how much the Mets plan to offer. According to the New York Daily News, the right-hander would sign for a deal comparable to right-hander Jake Peavy's two-year, $29 million extension with the White Sox. Dickey, 38, is under contract next season for $5 million.

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Friday that the team soon will need a resolution in its talks with both Dickey and third baseman David Wright, who is also in negotiations for an extension.

REDS PROSPECT HURT: Top prospect Billy Hamilton came out of an Arizona Fall League game with lower back spasms after slamming into the centerfield wall chasing a triple. The Cincinnati speedster set a minor-league record with 155 stolen bases this season.

NAME CHANGE: The Phillies' Double-A team in Reading, Pa., will be known as the Fightin Phils.

Report: No-trade vows broken 11/17/12 [Last modified: Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:45pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Koetter: Jameis Winston will test shoulder in practice Friday

    Blogs

    Will he? Won't he? It appears the Bucs' uncertainty over whether quarterback Jameis Winston can play through a shoulder injury Sunday at Buffalo will carry up until the final hours before kickoff.

    Jameis Winston didn't throw at practice Wednesday.
  2. Fennelly: Even frustrated Bucs fans hold out hope

    Blogs

    Many fans wrote back when I threw out an all-points the other day, asking if Bucs fans are perpetually in a state of expecting the worst.

    Bucs fans cheer during a preseason game against the Washington Redskins in August at Raymond James Stadium.
  3. Bucs snapper Garrison Sanborn looking forward to return to Bills

    Bucs

    Throughout his eight seasons with the Bills, whenever former players would come to Buffalo for a game, Garrison Sanborn remembers the place to take them for a reunion dinner was a popular Italian …

    Garrison Sanborn enjoyed just one winning season in eight years in Buffalo. [AP photo]
  4. J.T. Brown said first protest already sparked action plan

    Blogs

    Lightning wing J.T. Brown said part of the reason he will no longer raise his fist during the national anthem is because his first silent protest has already sparked an action plan.

    J.T. Brown stressed that he got a lot of support from the Lightning, from ownership on down to help put him in situations to help.
  5. Bucs' Mike Evans, Bills cornerback E.J. Gaines could face off again

    Bucs

    Bucs receiver Mike Evans has gone up against four Pro Bowl cornerbacks in five games, and on Sunday he could be lining up against a corner he has a history with in Buffalo's E.J. Gaines.

    Bucs wide receiver Mike Evans (13) makes a touchdown catch over Arizona Cardinals cornerback Justin Bethel (28)  Sunday  in Glendale, Ariz. [LOREN ELLIOTT | Times]