Rodriguez apologizes upon return to Mets

NEW YORK — The Mets' Francisco Rodriguez stood before more than two dozen TV cameras and reporters Saturday and apologized to his teammates and fans for a physical altercation at Citi Field that resulted in his arrest and a team-imposed two-game suspension.

Rodriguez rejoined his team before a game against the Phillies, three days after he was arrested and charged with third-degree assault on his girlfriend's father following a loss to the Rockies. He read a statement and did not take questions.

"First of all, I'm extremely sorry," Rodriguez said in a small room across the hall from the team's clubhouse at Citi Field. "I want to apologize to (owners) Fred Wilpon, Jeff Wilpon and Mr. (Saul) Katz for the incident that happened Wednesday night. I want to apologize also to the Mets fans, to my teammates. I want to apologize, of course, to the front office for the embarrassing moment that I caused. I'm looking forward to being a better person.

"Right now the plan is I'm going to be going to an anger management program. I cannot speak no further about the legal stuff that we're going through right now."

The closer, 28, is accused of grabbing his girlfriend's father, Carlos Pena, 53, hauling him into a tunnel near the family lounge beneath Citi Field and hitting him in the face and banging his head against the wall. Pena was hospitalized with a scrape and swelling above his eyebrow.

Rodriguez appeared at a Queens courthouse Thursday. Judge Mary O'Donoghue issued orders of protection for him to stay away from his girlfriend — Daian Pena, the mother of their 1-year-old twins — and her father.

PHILS HEALING: C Carlos Ruiz was back in the starting lineup after missing a game with a sore quadriceps, and manager Charlie Manuel said 2B Chase Utley and 1B Ryan Howard could be back this week. Utley, out since having right thumb surgery on July 1, went 1-for-3 with a triple in a rehab outing for Class A Clearwater. Howard has a sprained left ankle.

AILING PETTITTE: LHP Andy Pettitte rejoined the Yankees to meet with trainers a day after feeling soreness during a simulated game Friday. Pettitte has been on the disabled list since July 19 with a strained left groin.

JAYS LOCK UP PITCHER: Toronto signed LHP Ricky Romero to a five-year, $30.1 million contract extension. The deal runs from 2011-15, covering his three arbitration seasons and one year of free agency, with a club option for 2016. Romero, 25, is 9-7 with a 3.53 ERA in 23 starts.

JONES HAS SURGERY: The Braves said 3B Chipper Jones had successful surgery to repair the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Jones hopes to play next season.

CANSECO GOES INDIE: The Laredo Broncos of the independent United League signed former big-league slugger Jose Canseco to a short-term contract. He will serve as bench coach and DH during two homestands.

CUBS: RHP Carlos Silva, who is recovering from a minor heart procedure last week to regulate his heartbeat, will need to make at least one rehab start before rejoining the rotation, manager Lou Piniella said.

MARINERS: OF/DH Milton Bradley is scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Tuesday. He hasn't appeared in a game since July 26.

RANGERS: 2B Cristian Guzman went on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right quadriceps. RH reliever Pedro Strop was recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma City.

RED SOX: OF Jacoby Ellsbury, who re-aggravated a rib cage injury after a first-base collision Friday, went back on the 15-day disabled list. Ellsbury had been on the DL twice since fracturing his ribs in April.

ROCKIES: LHP Jeff Francis went on the 15-day DL with left shoulder soreness, and INF Eric Young was recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs.

Rodriguez apologizes upon return to Mets 08/14/10 [Last modified: Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:00pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...