Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Same BCS format not a part of next phase

CHICAGO — The conference commissioners who have been working on a four-team playoff to determine college football's national champion plan to present the BCS presidential oversight committee multiple formats from which to choose.

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said the university presidents will "have options — plural" to consider when they meet in two weeks.

What those options are is not clear. But this is: "Status quo is not on the table," BCS executive director Bill Hancock said.

The commissioners have been working on ways to hold a four-team major college football playoff, starting in the 2014 season. Among the details that need to be worked out are when and where to play the games, how to incorporate the bowls, and how to select the four teams.

The BCS commissioners and Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick released a statement after the meeting saying they are "approaching consensus on many issues, and we recognize there are also several issues that require additional conversations at both the commissioner and university president levels."

The commissioners are scheduled to meet again next week in Chicago and the presidential oversight committee is set to meet June 26 in Washington.

Scott would not say if the so-called "plus-one," which sets the No. 1 vs. No. 2 title game after the bowls have been played instead of before, is still on the table as he has suggested previously.

"I think there's a focus on a four-team playoff and trying to find a consensus as to the best way that could work, that our conferences can be comfortable with, that our presidents can consider," ACC commissioner John Swofford said. "But I don't think you cut off all conversation of the (other) models that can be in play."

Bulls volleyball coach to step down for family

TAMPA — Claire Lessinger, USF's volleyball coach for the past eight seasons and part of the program for 13 years, announced she is resigning July 15 to spend more time with her mother, who has been diagnosed with cancer.

A national search is under way to find her successor, athletic director Doug Woolard said.

"As much as I love the coaches, student-athletes and staff here, my family is the most important thing to me, and right now, I need to be with them," said Lessinger (101-127 career record).

Kansas basketball: Former Nebraska coach Doc Sadler was hired as the director of basketball operations, making his return to the Big 12 after one season coaching in the Big Ten. Sadler replaces Barry Hinson, now the Southern Illinois coach.

Times staff writer Greg Auman contributed to this report.

Same BCS format not a part of next phase 06/13/12 [Last modified: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:24pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Can Bucs become Tampa Bay's favorite team again?

    Bucs

    Their playoff run came up a tiebreaker short.

    Bucs fullback, Mike Alstott talks to the crowd as he walked along Kennedy Blvd. in downtown Tampa during the Buccaneer victory parade Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2003.Times Photo by: Fraser Hale
  2. Jones: Koetter-Winston exchange highlights latest 'Hard Knocks'

    Bucs

    There are certain things that make HBO's Hard Knocks must-see television.

    Jameis Winston, left, has an exchange with Dirk Koetter that highlights Hard Knocks.
  3. Trevor Plouffe is DFA'd by Rays, Kittredge recalled for now

    Blogs

    INF Trevor Plouffe didn't do much with the opportunity the Rays gave him, and time ran out Tuesday when he was designated for assignment after the game.

    Plouffe hit just .178, with one homer and two RBIs, in 31 games for the Rays, his primary playing time from starting at first or third against lefties.

  4. Rays journal: Offense shows signs of waking up in win over Blue Jays (w/video)

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — The drought was so severe that it's still probably too soon to say the Rays are out of it, but scoring a half-dozen runs in Tuesday's 6-5 win over the Blue Jays was another promising sign.

    Corey Dickerson high-fives Wilson Ramos after hitting a solo home run in the third inning, putting the Rays up 2-1.
  5. Marc Topkin's takeaways from Tuesday's Rays-Blue Jays game

    The Heater

    C Wilson Ramos, coming off right knee surgery, often takes it easy on the bases, though it's not always a good look. But he hustled when he needed to Tuesday and got the Rays a run by beating out a two-out infield single, finishing with three more hits.