Make us your home page

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Veteran guard Ginobili says he's returning

BAHIA BLANCA, Argentina — Manu Ginobili said he is coming back for a 15th NBA season.

Ginobili made the announcement on his personal blog Sunday. The shooting guard turns 39 this month and declared himself a free agent last month after declining a player option for 2016-17 with the Spurs.

Ginobili didn't say if he would be back in San Antonio, though it has been widely presumed that if he continued playing, he would stay with the Spurs. He did say he would have more news to share soon.

"The most important news to tell you is I am determined to continue playing in the NBA," Ginobili wrote in his native Spanish.

He has spent all of his NBA career with San Antonio, where it's unclear if Tim Duncan will return for what would be a 20th season. Ginobili averaged 9.6 points last season and shot 39 percent from 3-point range.

He missed 12 games in February and March while recovering from surgery after getting kneed in the groin area.

"I had a great time during the season and except for the 'small' February incident was healthy at all times," Ginobili wrote. "I definitely want to continue enjoying the basketball a little more."

DURANT NEAR DECISION: Kevin Durant plans to decide where he will continue his career by today, reported. The forward, 27, met with the Heat on Sunday after meeting with the Thunder, Warriors, Spurs, Celtics and Clippers. Oklahoma City, where Durant has played all nine seasons, requested another meeting with the former MVP.

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS: Guard Jamal Crawford, 36, will return to the Clippers on a three-year, $42 million deal. … Point guard Rajon Rondo, 30, verbally agreed to a two-year deal with the Bulls worth $30 million. … The Timberwolves agreed to a three-year, $22 million contract with Cole Aldrich, 27, a native of the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington. … Guard Tyler Johnson, 24, who was undrafted two years ago, agreed to sign a $50 million, four-year offer sheet with the Nets. … Power forward Andrew Nicholson, 26, agreed to a $26 million, four-year contract with the Wizards. Washington also acquired point guard Trey Burke, 23, from the Jazz for a 2021 second-round draft pick and agreed to a $9 million, three-year contract with Czech guard Tomas Satoransky, 24. … Guard Garrett Temple, 30, accepted a $24 million, three-year contract offer from the Kings.

Veteran guard Ginobili says he's returning 07/03/16 [Last modified: Sunday, July 3, 2016 9:28pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2016 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours