tb-two* photo galleries
Just about everyone knows someone who has been bullied, in ways big and small. Understandably, though, many victims are reluctant to speak about their experiences. We found some who aren't.
BY CHARIS LEE, Hillsborough High
Unfortunately for most teens Santa leaves the gift-giving job to us, and because most of us don’t have access to toy workshops and Will Ferrell, we tend to wait to the last minute to buy for family, friends and sweeties alike. • Keep calm and read on, because tb-two* has some Do’s and Don’ts for gifting girls and guys in a rush.
For girls gifting guys
1. Dessert: A great last-minute gift for a guy, even if you’re no Cake Boss. Buying cupcakes at Publix or from a fancy cupcake bar is a great alternative to baking if you don’t have the time. Be sure to serve with a nice card and a napkin!
2. Headphones: A thoughtful way to ensure he is never without a way to listen to his iPod. This seemingly generic gift can still reflect a guy’s loud personality, as they come in a wide range of styles.
3. Gift card to a fast food restaurant! Guys love grub, especially the late-night kind.
1. Electronic gear (other than headphones): When you’re in a frenzy because the gift exchange is less than 24 hours away, gifting a guy a nifty electronic gadget from Brookstone seems like a good way out, but don’t be tempted! Most dudes are really picky about things like video games and iPhone cases.
2. Grooming supplies: Not to state the obvious, but guys don’t get as excited about a new fragrance or shampoo like girls do.
3. Something expensive: WARNING! Nothing screams awkward like buying an excessively expensive gift for a guy or girl. A gift is meant to celebrate your relationship, not make you the poster child for conspicuous consumption. Moderation will keep you from outshining the other person, causing embarrassment and debt.
For guys gifting girls
1. Picture frame: Even though people put 95 percent of their photos on Facebook, it is still nice to have tangible framed photos. Frames can be pretty inexpensive and can be found in really fun textures and colors. Pop in a photo of the two of you as a nifty way to say you make a good pair.
2. A potted plant: Give her the gift of oxygen! Plants can be found nearly everywhere, as can decorative pots, and they last a lot longer than a bouquet of flowers.
3. Gift card to her favorite shopping mecca: Help save a girl’s wallet! Many stores sell gift cards to a variety of places, so mix it up with a couple of $10 cards, one to a clothing store, one to a shoe store.
1. Purses: We know most girls adore purses, but we have to flash the red light here. A purse is a very personal purchase, and can also send your wallet into cardiac arrest.
2. Clothes: Sizing for girls’ and guys’ clothing is like night and day. Another reason clothes are a terrible last-minute gift: It’s tough to find the right shirt or sweater unless you know everything she already owns.
3. Makeup/perfume: Makeup remains uncharted territory for most guys, so don’t be deceived by a random pallet of light pink blushes if you’re out of time. Makeup and perfume are such individual choices, and most of the time, makeup can’t be returned. Unless a girl has told you exactly what she wants, steer clear.
For all last-minute gifters, keep in mind:
• Be sure to include receipts
• Set a budget and stick to it
• Always include a card with a nice, handwritten sentiment