540 First St. SE, St. Petersburg, FL 33707
Owned and operated by the City of St. Petersburg, Albert Whitted Airport's two runways provide convenient access to the city's downtown waterfront, business district and urban communities. The 110-acre facility handles approximately 80,000 aircraft annually and is home to an estimated 185 aircraft. Businesses include charters, pilot supplies, banner towing and sightseeing tours. Many have wanted to redevelop the valuable waterfront area as a park or business area, or to expand the University of South Florida campus but voters decided to retain the historic airport. In 2007, a 10,600 square-foot terminal building was completed. The Hangar Restaurant and Flight Lounge opened on its second floor in 2010. The Hangar offers a full breakfast, lunch and dinner menu and is open to the public. Albert Whitted hosts the annual St. Petersburg Airfest of aerial displays, food and live music.
Albert Whitted Park is a city park located to the north of the airport on the shores of Tampa Bay. It has observation areas and a playground with an aviation-theme. A U.S. Coast Guard Air Station that was based at Albert Whitted has moved to St. Petersburg-Clearwarter International Airport.
Lt. James Albert Whitted was an early Navy aviator and one of St. Petersburg's favorite pilots. He was killed in a crash near Pensacola in 1923. The airport named for him opened in 1928.