210 S Fort Harrison Ave., Clearwater, FL 33756
More in this neighborhood: Downtown Clearwater
Built in 1927 as Clearwater's first skyscraper, this hotel was a local focal point for decades. The Church of Scientology bought it under an assumed name in 1975, and the 82-year-old landmark is now a 220-room hotel for visiting Scientologists in the downtown Clearwater area.
The Church of Scientology reopened the hotel in 2009 after a $40 million renovation and makeover. Features housed in the hotel now include marble floors from Spain, three restaurants (not open to the public), elaborate crown molding, richly colored carpets from South Africa and a 12,000-crystal chandelier for the ballroom. Nightly rates range from $150 for a standard room to $1,500 for the presidential suite. Read more about the hotel's history and renovation here.