It's time to get your culture on when 20 museums across Tampa Bay offer free or cheap admission on Saturday.
The annual free museum day is part of Smithsonian Museum Day Live and St. Petersburg's Arts Alive. Many museums are also offering deep discounts and special activities.
Living history re-enactors representing Florida's Civil War-era will appear at the Tampa Bay History Center, and the Dalí Museum will have an Escher tessellation community mural outside the museum that visitors can add to with markers. The Henry Plant Museum will have two ballet dancers from the Tampa Ballet Theatre performing a dance from Giselle at 11 a.m.
St. Petersburg's Arts Alive also brings deals and free admission from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday to select museums and galleries, such as free admission to the Dalí Museum for Pinellas County residents only, and a free voucher to come back in October for anyone else. And on Beach Drive, it's $1 admission to see the Chihuly glass collection.
Smithsonian magazine started the museum day more than 10 years ago, encouraging museums across the nation to adopt the Smithsonian Institution's free admission policy for 24 hours. Most, but not all, museums affiliated with the Smithsonian event require a free ticket. Play it safe and sign up and print your tickets for two at smithsonianmag.com/museumday (many will accept your ticket on the screen of your smart phone).
• Florida Holocaust Museum, 55 Fifth St. S, St. Petersburg
• Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, 255 Beach Drive NE, St. Petersburg
• Leepa-Rattner Museum of Art, 600 Klosterman Road, Tarpon Springs
• Cracker Country, 4800 U.S. 301, Tampa
• Henry B. Plant Museum, 401 W Kennedy Blvd., Tampa
• Tampa Bay History Center, 801 Old Water St., Tampa
• Florida Museum of Photographic Arts, 200 N Tampa St., Tampa
• Armed Forces History Museum, 2050 34th Way N, Largo
• Tampa Museum of Art, 120 W Gasparilla Plaza, Tampa
• Ybor City Museum State Park, 1818 E Ninth Ave., Tampa,
• Dr. Carter G. Woodson Museum, 2240 Ninth Ave. S, St. Petersburg
• St. Petersburg Museum of History, 335 Second Ave. N.E. St. Petersburg
• Morean Arts Center and Glass Studio, 719 Central Ave., St. Petersburg
• Creative Clay Cultural Arts Center, 1114 Central Ave., St. Petersburg
• Hernando Historical Museum, 70 Russell St., Brooksville
• Polk Museum of Art, , 800 E Palmetto St., Lakeland (always free, but those with the Smithsonian ticket will receive a gift.)
• Florida Railroad Museum, 12210 83rd St. E, Parrish
• Ringling Museum of Art, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota
• Manatee Village Historical Park, 1404 Manatee Avenue E, Bradenton
• South Florida Museum, 201 10th St. W, Bradenton
• Dalí Museum, 1 Dalí Blvd., St. Petersburg: Free admission for Pinellas County residents; all other paid admission receives a coupon for a free admission in the month of October.
• Chihuly Collection, 400 Beach Drive, St. Petersburg: $1 admission.
• Florida CraftArt, 501 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, 10 percent gift shop discount.
Contact Sharon Kennedy Wynne at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow @SharonKWn.