The denizens of St. Petersburg like to call their town the Burg, and for a second year, restaurants of the Grand Central District of St. Petersburg will be participating in the Battle of the Burg(er), a month-long contest in which people vote for their favorite burger.
During August, customers can buy one of the burger entries and vote online. In addition, a panel of celebrity judges will score each burger to determine the winner of the Judges' Choice.
Some restaurants are entering the contest with a burger already on their menu, others are creating a custom item that fits into their genre.
Participating restaurants include:
• Beak's St. Pete, 2451 Central Ave.
• The Burg Bar & Grill, 1752 Central Ave.
• Craftsman House Gallery & Cafe, 2955 Central Ave.
• Georgie's Alibi, 3100 Third Ave. N.
• Mayster's Cafe, 2444 Central Ave.
• The Queens Head Eurobar, 2501 Central Ave.
• Urban Brew & BBQ – 1939 Central Ave.
Diners will be able to cast their votes for the People's Choice award through the Grand Central District Association's website at grandcentraldistrict.org and its Facebook page Aug. 1-31. The winners will be announced on Sept. 3.
Last year it was the Burg Bar & Grill's "Double Grilled Cheese Bacon Burger" that won the battle and the bragging rights. Two restaurants tied for second-place honors: the Queens Head and Georgie's Alibi. Mayster's Cafe placed fourth.