POLKA CONCERT: Virgil Baker and the Just 4 Fun Band will entertain from 2 to 6 p.m. March 24 at the Suncoast Dance and Party Center, 13383 County Line Road, west of Masaryktown. Doors open at 1 p.m. Musicians are encouraged to bring their instruments to join in the jam sessions that will be held during breaks. Tickets cost $10. Call (727) 753-9631.
LEARN CPR: A CPR/automated external defibrillator class will be offered at 6 p.m. March 21 at the Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, in the Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd., west of Brooksville. The course meets the guidelines of the American Heart Association and the American Safety and Health Institute. It is designed for professional health care providers, but anyone may participate. The cost is $20. Upon completion of the course, students will receive a two-year certification card. Seating is limited; reservations are required. Call Bob Kanner at (352) 597-8875.
HUMANE SOCIETY GOLF OUTING: The fourth annual Cause Fore Paws golf tournament will be on April 9 at Southern Hills Plantation Club, 4200 Summit View Drive, Brooksville. Check-in is at 8 a.m., and the shotgun start will be at 9 a.m. This is a four-person, best-ball scramble. The cost is $75 per golfer, which includes prizes and a buffet barbecue lunch. The registration deadline for players is March 29. Sponsorships are also available. Proceeds will be used to care for homeless pets through the Humane Society of the Nature Coast. For information, call Alisa at (352) 796-2711 or Amanda at (352) 442-8688. To register online, visit humanerescue.org.
GOLF OUTING BENEFITS TROOPS: Gifts from Home will host a charity golf outing on April 14 at Rivard Golf Club, 18001 Rivard Blvd., south of Brooksville. The shotgun start will be at 8 a.m.
The entry fee is $140 per team or $35 per person, which includes lunch. Prizes will be awarded. There will also be raffles and a yard sale.
Gifts from Home is a nonprofit organization that supports military troops serving in war zones. Proceeds from the golf outing will be used to purchase postage and items for care boxes.
For information or to register, stop by Rivard, send email to [email protected] or call Linda or Larry Kidwell at (352) 684-4185.
BOATING CLASSES: The following boating classes will be offered at the Coast Guard Auxiliary, 4340 Calienta St., Hernando Beach:
• "How to Read a Nautical Chart," 9 a.m. to noon March 23. Participants will learn about different types of charts, their capabilities and limitations. The cost is $35, which includes a textbook.
• "Suddenly in Command," 7 to 9:30 p.m. March 26. This class is for boat passengers, who will learn how to be prepared for emergencies, including having to take over the helm. The cost is $10.
• "About Boating Safely," 7 to 9:30 p.m. April 2-4. This is a beginner program that covers safe boating practices, use of safety equipment, navigation and Florida law. Completion satisfies the requirement for the Florida boating safety ID. The cost is $35.
• "Boating Skills and Seamanship," 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays, April 9 through June 4. Designed for both experienced and novice boaters. Topics will include boating safety, rules, navigation, weather, radio and Florida law. Completion satisfies the requirement for the Florida boating safety ID. The cost is $35.
• "How to Use a GPS," 9 a.m. to noon April 28. The class focuses on the GPS equipment typically owned by a recreational boater. Participants will learn how to program waypoints, develop routes and interface GPS routes with a nautical chart. The cost is $35.
For information, call Jeff at (352) 397-5417.