If there ever was an all-American holiday, it's National Doughnut Day. A circle of fried dough drenched in sugar, plus it's free? Count us in.
It actually has a patriotic history. During World War I, the Salvation Army sent volunteers to France, where they made doughnuts for soldiers fighting on the front lines. In 1917, the group dubbed the first Friday of June National Doughnut Day to commemorate the volunteers' goodwill gesture.
Here's where you can salute your country with sugar and dough (at participating stores):
• Dunkin' Donuts is offering a free treat of your choice with the purchase of any beverage.
• Krispy Kreme is giving out free doughnuts, no purchase necessary. But just try to eat just one.
• Tastykake, the brand you see on grocery store shelves, says the first 5,000 fans who like the brand on Facebook get a coupon good for a free Tastykake doughnut product, redeemable through June 14.
• Winn Dixie grocery stores are handing out free jumbo doughnut holes to customers today.
• Tim Horton's stores have a free doughnut coupon available today at timhortons.com