LIBRARY PROGRAMS, EVENTS: The Hernando County Public Library System will host the following events and programs:
• Talk and book signing with author Tom Brooks, 10:30 a.m. to noon Tuesday, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill. Brooks will discuss his new book, Ronny's Songs. Copies will be available for purchase and signing.
• Teen Anime Club, 11 a.m. Oct. 5, Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. This is for youth ages 12 to 18 who will draw and discuss manga and participate in other events. Preregistration is requested; call (352) 754-4043.
• History and Biography Book Discussion Group, 11 a.m. Oct. 4, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. The book to be discussed is Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakaeur, which is about Pat Tillman's journey from NFL star to Army combatant. A limited number of copies of the book are available at the library.
• Viva Florida 500 Book Discussion, 2 p.m. Oct. 3, Lykes Memorial Library. The book to be discussed is A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith.
For information, call (352) 754-4043 or visit hernandocountylibrary.us.
WATER SERIES BEGINS: Hernando County will kick off its Water Awareness Series with a presentation on "Centuries of Gardening that Led to Florida-Friendly Landscaping" from 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 4 at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, 6131 Commercial Way, Weeki Wachee.
The speaker will be Sylvia Durell, Hernando County's Florida-Friendly Landscaping coordinator. She will discuss the evolution of gardening, including the formal and elaborate gardens of centuries ago, and the benefits of Florida-Friendly landscaping.
The class is free, but registration is required due to limited seating. RSVP to (352) 754-4705, email@example.com or online at 2014waterawarenessseries.eventbrite.com.
OPEN HOUSE AT ANIMAL SHELTER: Hernando County Animal Services, 19450 Oliver St., Brooksville, will host an open house from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 5.
Visitors will be introduced to the new cat adoption rooms and veterinary medical/surgical room. There will be educational and informational tables staffed by the Hillborough Community College veterinary technician program, the Hernando County Health Department and several volunteers and students. Pets will be available for adoption.
For information, call (352) 796-5062.
LIBRARY OFFERS TECHNICAL HELP: The Hernando County Public Library System now offers "Tech Tutors" to offer assistance with smartphones, e-readers and other hand-held, self-contained devices.
The program will be offered at the following locations:
• 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. every first Friday at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
• 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. every second Friday at Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
• 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. every third Friday at the West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill.
For information, call (352) 754-4043 or visit hernandocounty library.us.
NATIONAL NIGHT OUT: A National Night Out celebration will be from 5 to 9 p.m. Oct. 5 in the Target parking lot, 3101 Aerial Way, east of Spring Hill.
The event will feature free activities for children and adults, food and displays by local law enforcement and fire departments. There will be a bounce house, balloons, photos, arts and crafts, face painting and numerous games.
The event is a collaboration between Target, the Hernando County Sheriff's Office, Hernando County Fire Rescue, Brooksville-Tampa Bay Regional Airport, the Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce, Chick-fil-A, Papa John's, Starbucks and other businesses and organizations.
For information, call (352) 593-2168 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KNIGHTS HOST AUCTION: St. Frances Cabrini Knights of Columbus Council 13209 will host its second raffle auction Oct. 12 at Xavier Hall, 5030 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill. Doors open at 5 p.m.; dinner will be served at 6 p.m.
The auction will begin immediately after dinner. More than 175 gifts will be available, donated by local businesses. Dinner will include rotisserie chicken, pasta, vegetable and salad.
The cost is $15 per person, which includes 25 raffle tickets. Additional tickets may be purchased at $5 for 25. Event tickets are limited to 200. Tables may be reserved for eight or more.
For information or tickets, call Jack Hauser at (352) 686-9767, John Moonan at (352) 596-4709 or the parish office at (352) 683-9666.
ENCORE ACADEMY CLASSES: The Encore Academy at Pasco-Hernando Community College will offer the following workshops at the PHCC Spring Hill Campus, 450 Beverly Court:
• "Introduction to Creative Writing," 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Oct. 2 to 16. The cost is $36.
• "Digital Photography II," 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays, Oct. 3-17.
• "What's Your EQ (Emotional Intelligence) and How to Improve It," 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 7. The cost is $12.
• "Plato's Just Society," 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 7. The cost is $12.
• "Maintain Your Brain," 1 to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 11. Presented by the Alzheimer's Association. Free; call to register.
• "What to Put in Your Bucket, Before You Kick It," 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 21. The cost is $12.
• "Driving and Dementia," 1 to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 25. Presented by the Alzheimer's Association. Free; call to register.
• "Beginning Sign Language," noon to 2 p.m. Fridays, Nov. 1 to 15. The cost is $36.
• Computer workshops for people with various skill levels are offered throughout the month. Call for details.
All workshops are open to the community; Encore Academy membership is not required.
Registration is required two days prior to workshop start date.
Call toll-free 1-877-879-7422 or visit phcc.edu/encore.
HHS CLASS OF '73 REUNION: The Hernando High School Class of 1973 is planning its 40th reunion.
The weekend will start with a meet-and-greet for all Hernando High grads at 6 p.m. Oct. 4 at Coney Island Drive Inn, 1112 E Jefferson St., Brooksville.
A dinner-dance for 1973 class members only will be from 6 to 11 p.m. Oct. 5 at the Brooksville Country Club at Majestic Oaks, 23446 Links Drive, Brooksville. Tickets cost $40 per person.
For information, call Joe Solomon at (352) 799-2750 or Paul Thomas at (352) 848-0991.
LIBRARY CLOSURES: All branches of the Hernando County Public Library System will be closed Monday for staff development training.
All libraries will resume normal hours of operation Tuesday. For information, call (352) 754-4043 or visit hernandocounty library.us.
ART AUCTION, GALA: The Brooksville City Hall Art Gallery will host the Building a Foundation Fine and Decorative Arts Auction Gala from 6 to 10 p.m. Oct. 11 at the gallery in City Hall, 201 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
The event will include jazz entertainment, an appetizer buffet, a wine tasting and a live art auction, featuring works by Kim Paff, Alberto Juliano (represented by Abrams Art), Andy Fotopoulos, Lee Broede and a selection of traditional original oil paintings by other artists.
Proceeds will benefit Building a Foundation, a nonprofit outreach program whose core mission is to advocate and listen to the under-served throughout Hernando County.
Semiformal attire is required. Tickets are $35.
For tickets or information, call Angela Gilbert at (352) 403-7003 or Patricia Miller at (352) 293-3075.
LIGHTHOUSE FOR SIGHT-IMPAIRED CELEBRATES 30 YEARS: The Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind is celebrating its 30th anniversary with the following events:
• An open house will be from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 7 at the Lighthouse's Pasco office at 8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey. A birthday dinner will follow from 4 to 7 p.m. at Grille 54, 10900 State Road 54, Trinity. Tickets for the dinner are $12. To RSVP for either event, call (727) 815-0303 or send email to email@example.com.
• An open house and White Cane Awareness Barbecue will be from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 11, at the Lighthouse's Hernando office at 6492 California St., south of Brooksville. There is no cost. RSVP to (352) 754-1132 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
YMCA YOUTH SPORTS: Youth soccer and flag football is set to begin at the Hernando County Family YMCA, 1300 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill.
Registration for flag football, open to children ages 6 to 12, ends Oct. 4.
The season will run from Oct. 15 to Dec. 12. Games will be on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. The cost is $65 for facility members and $76 for program members.
Youth soccer, open to children ages 3 to 14, will have its season from Oct. 14 to Dec. 14. Players ages 3 to 5 will have games on Saturday only; ages 6 to 14 will have one weekday evening game and also a Saturday game each week.
The cost for facility members is $52 for ages 3 to 5 and $66 for ages 6-14; program members pay $66 for ages 3 to 5 and $76 for ages 6 to 12.
For information, call (352) 688-9622 or visit suncoastymca.org.