BROOKSVILLE — As the city of Brooksville prepares to celebrate 160 years with a week of activities, the 2016 Founders Week celebration kicks off a day early, with festivities starting Saturday throughout downtown. All festivities are provided at no cost, unless otherwise noted.
The Saturday schedule includes:
• Market on Main Street: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., along Main, between Broad and Liberty streets. More than 30 vendors will showcase crafts, art, handmade items, fresh vegetables and flowers.
• Live entertainment, featuring the Florida Cracker Cowboys from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and the Tyler Creek Road Band from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., on Main Street.
• Walking Tour of Brooksville Cemetery: Meet at 10 a.m. at 1275 Olmes Road, next to the gazebo. Led by historian Jan Knowles.
• Mural tours: Meet at the Fine Arts Council booth on Main Street for one of three tours at 12:30, 1 and 1:30 p.m.
• Back in Time Fashion Show: Meet at 1:30 p.m. on the old courthouse steps for a historically accurate period costume fashion show.
• Build Your Own Scarecrow: Children can gather anytime between 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the lawn of the old courthouse to make a festive scarecrow. There will be hundreds of clothing items to choose from.
Activities will continue throughout the following week and include:
• Victorian Tea: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 12 to 14, Brooksville Woman's Club, 131 S Main St. The cost is $10. Call (352) 345-2173.
• Movie on Main Street: Watch Zootopia at 7:45 p.m. Oct. 14 on Main Street under the stars. Concessions available. Bring a chair or blanket.
• Market on Main Street: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 15, along Main, between Broad and Liberty streets. More than 30 vendors showcasing crafts, art, handmade items, fresh vegetables and flowers.
• Car Show: Cars will be decorated, and their owners will be dressed in costumes to offer candy to children trick-or-treating from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 15 on Main Street. There will be a vote for "favorite car."
• Live entertainment, featuring the Silverback Rock N Roll Band, 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 15 on Main Street.
• Trunk or Treat: 10 to 11:30 a.m. Oct. 15 on Main Street. Children can trick-or-treat at participating vendors, businesses and car show participants.
• Kids Halloween Costume Contest: noon to 1 p.m. Oct. 15 on Main Street for children ages 1 to 12. Judging will be done in age groups: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12, with prizes awarded.
• Breast Cancer Awareness Walk: Wear pink and gather at 12:45 Oct. 15 on Main Street with members of the Brooksville City Council for a 1-mile walk to Tom Varn Park. At the park, participants may visit the Tree of Hope and sign a ribbon in memory of a loved one.