TAMPA — It'll be a big night for the Sinha family when the Hindi film industry gives out annual awards April 26 at Raymond James Stadium.
Not only will Bollywood's Sonakshi Sinha perform at the International Indian Film Academy Awards ceremony, but her father, longtime actor Shatrughan Sinha, will receive a special honor recognizing his "outstanding contribution to Indian cinema," organizers said Wednesday.
Sinha, 67, an actor and politician known as "Shotgun," will be honored for 45 years of work in the Hindi film industry, including roles in Kaala Patthar, Shaan, Naseeb, Kalicharan, Dostana, Mere Apne Aa Gale Lag Jaa and Aan: Men At Work. The honor, IIFA said, recognizes Sinha's work playing heroes and villains, his unconventional acting style, his passionate but idiosyncratic monologues, even the unique way he says "Khamosh!" — Hindi for "silence."
Thanking IIFA organizers, Sinha said, "it has truly been a long but fulfilling journey in the movie business."
"The honour not only humbles me, but makes me feel loved by a country where cinema is the ultimate equalizer of the masses," he said.
Past IIFA awards shows have honored Bollywood film leaders that include the late director-producer Yash Chopra, lyricist Javed Akthar, filmmaker Ramesh Sippy and singer Asha Bhosle.
The 15th annual IIFA Weekend & Awards is scheduled for April 23-26 in Tampa. It is the first time that the awards, which go to a different city each year, will be held in the United States. The schedule includes:
• IIFA Stomp Bollywood dance music festival at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park from 7 to 11 p.m. April 23. This event is free and open to the public.
• IIFA Global Business Forum at the Tampa Convention Center April 24 and 25. Registration is at usf.edu/business/iifa/registration.aspx.
• Green carpet and an invitation-only IIFA Rocks concert and fashion show 8 p.m. April 24 at the Tampa Convention Center.
• Green carpet and Magic of the Movies & Technical Awards show at 7 p.m. April 25 at the MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre. Tickets at livenation.com.
• Green carpet and awards at Raymond James Stadium at 8 p.m. April 26. Tickets at ticketmaster.com.