Maple and Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- ¾ pound thin carrots, sliced in half or thirds
- ¾ pound parsnips, sliced thinly and diagonally
- 1 red onion, sliced thickly
- ¼ cup olive oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry herbs like rosemary, marjoram and thyme (like Herbes de Provence seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the vegetables. Add the oil, salt, pepper, herbs and rosemary and toss to coat well.
- Place the vegetables on a large roasting pan or two baking sheets, making sure they are level and not on top of one another.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 45 minutes, checking that the point of a sharp knife spears the vegetables easily. Gently move the vegetables around on the pan about halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
- While the vegetables cook in the oven, place the maple syrup and balsamic vinegar in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer slowly until it has reduced by about half and is nice and thick.
- Once the vegetables are ready, lightly drizzle some of the syrup over them and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Serve warm or store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Reheat glaze in the microwave if it becomes cold or too thick. Serves 4.
Source: Adapted from foodnessgracious.com