Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked (or regular) paprika
- Pinch of sea salt or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup hummus
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4-1 teaspoon dried dill
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Water, to thin
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. (This will speed up the cooking time.) Rub the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil and place face down on the baking sheet.
- Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on the same baking sheet, or another one depending on space.
- Place the baking sheet(s) in the oven in the middle rack and cook for about 25 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your sauce by adding all sauce ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, adding enough water to thin the mixture so it is pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for savoriness, lemon juice for freshness and dill for a more intense herb flavor. I found mine didn't need anything else.
- Prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
- Once sweet potatoes are fork tender and the chickpeas are golden brown, remove them from the oven.
- To serve, flip potatoes flesh-side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Top with chickpeas, sauce and parsley-tomato garnish. Serve immediately. Serves 4.