Slow Cooker Ramen
- 2 to 3 pounds pork shoulder roast (or butt)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- ½ cup plus 2 to 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup plus 2 to 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (chili paste)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups wild mushrooms, left whole
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (optional)
- Ramen noodles
- 4 soft-boiled or fried eggs, for serving
- Chopped carrots, sliced jalapenos, cilantro and green onions, for serving
- Add the pork to the bowl of a slow cooker. Pour the chicken broth, ½ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup rice vinegar and fish sauce over the pork. Add the Thai red curry paste, ginger, sambal oelek, juice of 1 lime, Chinese five spice powder, black pepper and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours. (I recommend going low and slow.)
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and add the mushrooms. Cover the slow cooker and crank the heat up to high. Lightly shred the pork with two forks.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sesame oil. Once hot, add enough pork to cover just the surface of your skillet; do not over crowd the skillet. Sprinkle a little brown sugar over the pork, add 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 2 tablespoons rice vinegar and toss. Allow the pork to caramelize, about 2 minutes. Stir and allow the pork to continue to caramelize, about 3 to 5 minutes total. Remove the pork from the skillet and repeat with remaining pork. Keep the pork warm.
- Add the ramen noodles to the slow cooker and allow them to cook 5 minutes. Once the noodles are cooked, stir in half the pork. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with extra caramelized pork and an egg. Season the egg with salt and pepper. Add the carrots, jalapenos, green onions and cilantro. Serves 4 to 6.
Source: Adapted from halfbakedharvest.com