The fancy French term for cooking chicken in parchment paper is en papillote. But the word is more complicated than the actual method, which results in moist, flavorful chicken every time.
The basics stay the same each time: Wrap chicken breast in a parchment paper packet, coat with olive oil and season, bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. But you can play with the toppings. Here are some of my favorite combinations:
• Sliced red onion, a slivered garlic clove, thinly sliced lemon, lots of pepper and some salt
• Fresh minced ginger, thinly sliced mushrooms or carrots, sliced scallion greens, soy sauce
• Slivered garlic cloves, finely diced white onion, finely chopped fresh parsley (or storebought pesto), red pepper flakes
• Red peppers cut into thin strips, zucchini cut into thin strips, freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• Diced tomatoes, capers, basil, splash of balsamic vinegar