Two Tampa Bay breweries — Cycle Brewing in St. Petersburg, and Cigar City in Tampa — have landed on RateBeer’s list of the 10 Best Brewers in the World.
The annual list released by community-driven beer rating website ratebeer.com is based on user-submitted reviews of more than 24,000 brewers around the globe.
In an explanation of its methodology released with the list, RateBeer said it creates a summary score using those reviews, along with 10 "weighted scales that place an emphasis on reviews of the past year and top performing beers but also includes historical all-around performance, a brewer’s range of performance across styles, and other factors to compare newer and older, larger and smaller brewers under a single method of processing."
Here's the full top 10.
1. Hill Farmstead Brewery, Vermont
2. Cloudwater Brew Company, Manchester, England
3. Trillium Brewing Company, Massachusetts
4. AleSmith Brewing Company, California
5. Cycle Brewing, St. Petersburg
6. Omnipollo, Sweden
7. Other Half Brewing, New York
8. Cigar City Brewing, Tampa
9. Mikkeller, Denmark
10. Evil Twin Brewing, Denmark
RateBeer also released an unordered top 100 brewers list, which includes three more Florida beers: Angry Chair Brewing in Tampa, Funky Buddha Brewery in Oakland Park and J. Wakefield Brewing in Miami.