If you're planning a romantic picnic this Valentine's Day, there is no better refreshment to bring along than this sweet, red sangria. A simple toss and stir of wine, spirits, fruit and seltzer in a pitcher yields a warm and delicious punch sure to get cheeks blushing. Enjoy during a picnic date — or with friends, laughing about the suckers who buy into the commercialism of Valentine's Day. Scott Pollenz, Times staff writer
Drink of the week: Recipe for Valentine's Day Picnic Punch sangria
© 2017 Tampa Bay Times
Valentine's Picnic Punch
- Sangria always starts with wine over ice. But which kind of red wine should be your base? If you want a lighter punch, with an emphasis on the sweetness of the fruit and sugars, use pinot noir. To meddle with the heavier flavors in the punch, such as the madeira (or brandy), a merlot's medium-body will facilitate more complex tastes.
- Add the wine of your choice to a large pitcher. Follow that with the warming, caramel flavors of a Malvasia Madeira wine. If experimenting with this Portuguese wine isn't your style, brandy is a sangria staple and an excellent substitute.
- Then add the orange juice, sliced oranges and strawberries. Bonus: Cut the strawberries into hearts to be nauseatingly cute and impress your date.
- Finally, top your sangria with a can of seltzer and give the mixture a good stir. We recommend passion fruit to really amplify the fruit flavor.
- Chill 4 to 6 hours to let the flavors combine.
- 1 bottle red wine
- ¼ cup Malvasia Madeira wine (or brandy)
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ orange, sliced
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 can passion fruit seltzer
Source: Scott Pollenz, Tampa Bay Times