To the lovelorn and the woebegone, the jaded and the just-been-jettisoned: You are not alone! Trust me, there are more miserable romantics rooting for Feb. 15 to get here than there are sappy couples happy to frolic in the supermarket-roses-scented joy of Valentine's Day.
Not everyone is swooning over candlelight and locking eyes with a paramour. Instead, most are leaning over a can of Dinty Moore beef stew and clicking around for Family Guy reruns. Broken-hearted? More like on the verge of a massive comeback!
So herewith, a playlist for the rest of us, a collection of songs to help you fight through today's heart-shaped mirage. You know, take-that breakup thumpers like Pink's So What: "So what? / I'm still a rock star / I got my rock moves / And I don't need you!" Or the ultimate kiss-off cut, Cee Lo Green's Forget You. (We prefer the profane version for these purposes, but hey, family paper.) Nothing says Valentine's Day like sweet melodic vengeance!
Sean Daly can be reached at [email protected] Follow @seandalypoplife on Twitter.
1. Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away), Motley Crue
2. I Hate Myself for Loving You, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
3. Love Stinks, J. Geils Band
4. Cupid's Got a Shotgun, Carrie Underwood
5. I Don't Believe a Word You Say, Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite
6. Baggage Claim, Miranda Lambert
7. Monkey Wrench, Foo Fighters
8. How Do You Like Me Now?!, Toby Keith
9. Best Thing I Never Had, Beyonce
10. Even the Losers, Tom Petty