• The Sydney Has a Sister Scholarship Foundation will host a silent auction fundraiser from 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday at Beef O'Brady's Wilderness Lake Preserve, 7040 Land O'Lakes Blvd., Land O'Lakes. Auction items include golf packages, date nights, hotel stays, spa packages and more. Bidding closes at 8:30 p.m. Proceeds will go toward funding scholarships for high school seniors who have siblings with autism. For more information, go to www.sydneyhasasister.com....
09/18/14 Human Interest
Denise Isaacson is living a dream, one set in motion when she climbed onto a piano bench for her first lesson at age 4. She was enraptured by the sounds the black and white keys made and hungry to learn. But life for the daughter of a Methodist minister was nomadic. Instruction depended on whether the church organist in whatever place they were living was willing to teach.
As a youngster she sang at her mother's church parties and in the choir. She could barely see over the railing when she performed her first solo — a hymn called Precious Jewels for her younger brother's baptism — battling stage fright the whole way through....
HOLIDAY — It was harvest day at Gulfside Elementary School, and second- and third-grade students were mightily excited to be pulling sweet potatoes planted in the raised garden beds in May.
"They went right through those sweet potatoes. It was like a bunch of ants running around. It was great," said master gardener Bob O'Brien, 65, who came with a handful of green-thumbed volunteers to show students how to pull the vines....
NEW PORT RICHEY — New Port Richey Main Street's 2014 ROCKtember Fest kicks off at 6 p.m. today in Sims Park along banks of the Pithlachascotee River. The two-day event features bands on the amphitheater stage and lots of family-friendly activities.
The music lineup includes Lawless Intent opening on Friday night followed by tribute band Almost Styx (9-10:30 p.m. Friday). Saturday includes Woody and the Wood Tones (2:30-4 p.m.) and the Glad All Over Band (4:30-6 p.m.) The Bob Hope Band performs Saturday evening (6:30-8 p.m.) and a return of the Black Honkeys (8:30-10:30 p.m.)....
Sept. 19: Progress reports.
• The Department of Mathematics and Science at Saint Leo University invites middle school and high school students to the free Math Circles outreach program from 5:30-6:30 p.m. each Thursday in Lewis Hall, Room 101. Includes fun activities to help students develop an enthusiasm for mathematics. Saint Leo University is located at 33701 State Road 52. Lewis Hall is the three-story academic building to the right, just inside the entrance to campus. Free parking in surface lots and the campus garage. For information, contact Monika Kiss, associate professor of mathematics, at (352) 588-8836 or email email@example.com....
NEW PORT RICHEY
On Friday nights they line the gridiron, kicking off with the national anthem. They're a force to be reckoned with during games, pepping it up in the stands, then taking the field again for the halftime show.
"Go For It" is the theme for the J.W. Mitchell High Marching Mustangs' show featuring songs by Muse and Radiohead that are meant to appeal to the high school demographic. Making it all come together is a lot of work — especially when you consider the size of this year's band....
09/04/14 Human Interest
For more than 30 years, the two-story red brick building on Curley Street sat empty. It's not that people weren't interested. A few times a week, someone would stop to peer in the windows, maybe rattle the doorknob, then venture next door to Jack Boyle's pottery shop to inquire if it was for sale or rent. It happened so often, in fact, that John Herrmann posted a sign on his late father's storefront asking folks not to bother the potter....
• Sept. 19: Progress reports.
• The African American Club of Pasco will host a Fall Program on Creative Arts for children in kindergarten through sixth grade. The 10-week program will be from 1 to 4 p.m. beginning Saturday at the former Booker T. Washington School, 6105 Pine Hill Road, Port Richey. There is no charge for the program, and snacks will be provided. For information, call (727) 849-5582....
08/28/14 Human Interest
It was a wistful conversation prompted by a roadside Powerball billboard and his wife's altruistic notion that gave Ernie Black the idea.
Along with the "quit our jobs and travel the world" scenario they agreed to, Becky Black said her imaginary winnings would go to starting a scholarship for kids like their daughter, Sydney.
As a career specialist in the guidance office at Sunlake High, Becky had done the research. She knew there was money out there for students who met specific criteria such as having red hair or being left-handed....
• Monday is Labor Day, no school
• The African American Club of Pasco will host a Fall Program on Creative Arts for children in kindergarten through sixth grade. The 10-week program will be held 1-4 p.m. each Saturday beginning Sept. 6 at the former Booker T. Washington School, 6105 Pine Hill Road, Port Richey. There is no charge for the program, and snacks will be provided. For information, call (727) 849-5582...
HUDSON — For some kids, high school is four years of figuring out what you want to be when you grow up — or at least what direction you'll be heading in.
Amir Hussain, 15, already has his path carved out.
"My dream is to become a neurosurgeon," he said, adding that his interest was first piqued when his mother underwent a successful neurosurgical procedure.
"The brain is a complex and delicate organ," he said. "And I'd like to be a part of that." ...
• Aug. 28: Adult education graduation
• Sept. 1: Labor Day, no school
• The African American Club of Pasco will host a Fall Program on Creative Arts for children in kindergarten through sixth grade. The 10-week program will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. each Saturday beginning Sept. 6 at the former Booker T. Washington School, 6105 Pine Hill Road, Port Richey. Children will have the opportunity to try their talents in dance, acting, singing, beginning Spanish, geography, scientific technology, crafts, computer skills and creative writing. There is no charge for the program, and snacks will be provided. A show for parents, friends and members will be held Nov. 8. For information, call (727) 849-5582...
Mary Jo Rodriguez had been up at the crack of dawn baking bread with the hope that locals would venture out for the Sunday afternoon opening of the Market on the Bayou.
"Bread is the big seller," she said, after tending to a customer at her vendor tent. "After that it's muffins and cookies, then brownies."
Rodriguez, a former body builder, delved into the business of organic, vegan and gluten-free baked foods after researching healthy diet trends. Two years into it, her Better Baked Goods business is "busting at the seams," building a presence at fresh markets in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Safety Harbor, New Port Richey and Spring Hill....
SAINT LEO — In 36 years of teaching, Beverly Ledbetter never used a red pen to correct her students' papers. Sure, red stands out. But Ledbetter thought it would be deflating for a student to get a paper back that's bleeding negative commentary.
More often, she used a green pen to point out to students what they were doing right.
"Remember, you're here to help build self-esteem," Ledbetter told the 25 or so attendees of a Beginning Teacher Boot Camp at Saint Leo University....
• Monday is the first day of school for students
• Aug. 28: Adult ed graduation
• Sept. 1: Labor Day, no school
• Middle and high school art teachers and instructors looking to exhibit student work might find some space in Picasso Hall for Emerging Artists at the Downtown New Port Richey Art Gallery, 6231 Grand Blvd. All media are acceptable for monthly exhibits during the school year including paintings, pastels, collages, photography, digital art, posters, up-cycled and mixed media. Instructors and students are encouraged to participate in the hanging of the exhibition and are invited to attend the opening reception, along with friends and family, to discuss their work. Instructors should contact the gallery at (727) 848-6500 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org....