If you can see past all the pumpkin spice mania and Halloween madness, you have probably noticed that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Here are some points to ponder while you sip on that pumpkin spice latte:
• Breast cancer will strike one in eight (about 12%) American women in their lifetime (and one in 1,000 men)
• Around 40,610 women in the U.S. are expected to die from breast cancer in 2017
• A woman's risk of breast cancer nearly doubles if she has a first-degree relative (mother, daughter, sister) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer
• And yet, less than 15% of women who get breast cancer have a family member diagnosed with it
• Smoking is linked to a higher risk of breast cancer in younger, premenopausal women, and very heavy second-hand smoke exposure is linked to breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women
• Extra fat, particularly around the belly, is linked to a higher risk of developing breast cancer
• The most significant risk factors for breast cancer are gender (being female), and age (growing older)
Obviously, there are some risk factors that you can control, and some that you can't. But a healthy lifestyle – with monthly self checks, regular exercise, a healthy diet of nutrient-dense foods, minimal or no alcohol and no smoking – can do a lot to improve your chances.
Would you like to take it to the next level (and enjoy yourself in the process)? All through the month of October, discounts and specials abound at Innisbrook Resort & Spa in Palm Harbor – so not only can you savor a fabulous massage, facial or haircut, but a portion of the proceeds will go toward breast cancer research or support.
October 1-31 | Breast Cancer Awareness Month Specials at Salamander Spa!
To-go cookies will be available for purchase at the spa; 50% of proceeds will go to "iGO Pink," a fund that provides assistance to those in need during breast cancer treatment.
$99 – 2 Hours The Pink-Over
Let us help you feel confident in your own skin! Enjoy an express facial, makeup and strip lash application and polish change on your hands and feet.
$80 – 50 Min. Strawberry Rhubarb Facial
Achieve a radiant-looking complexion with this facial. Using lactic acid, oat flour and strawberries, you will notice smaller pores, firmer skin and fine lines/wrinkles will be visibly smoother.
$45 – 25 Min. Reflexology Massage
Reflexology is performed by stimulating specific points on the feet to help improve functioning of corresponding organs, glands, and other parts of the body. This can help reduce fatigue and shortness of breath due to chemo and radiation therapy.
$45 – 50 Min. Cuts with a Cause
Have 10 inches of hair to spare? Come in for a new cut and style and donate your extra locks to "Pantene Beautiful Lengths." This fund turns donated hair into free, real-hair wigs for women battling cancer.
Pink Hair Extension - $15 Nail Art - $15
(A 20% service charge is generated at checkout. No discounts or other offers may be combined.)
October 1-31 | Market Salamander Grille
Help support Breast Cancer Awareness, and get some delicious dessert, all month long at Market Salamander Grille! Enjoy a Pink Decadent Chocolate Dome Flourless Chocolate Cake with a rich white chocolate mousse for only $7. Even better, 5% of the proceeds will be donated to a Salamander Spa nominee who is a breast cancer survivor/battler.
Finally! A rich dessert minus the guilt!
For more information on Innisbrook's Pinktober specials, visit the resort online at www.innisbrookgolfresort.com or call (888)794-8627.
Find more information on breast cancer at www.breastcancer.org.