Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive

Coach hospitalized after brawl in game

CHEYNEY, Pa. - A backyard rivalry turned into a basketball brawl at Cheyney University, leaving a West Chester assistant coach hospitalized Tuesday with a concussion and a broken jaw and four other people hurt. "It got ugly," Cheyney spokesman George Heaslip said of the Monday night fight, which came with two seconds left and Cheyney leading 67-66.

Assistant coach Bernard Driscoll of West Chester was listed in stable condition Tuesday at Riddle Memorial Hospital in Media, spokeswoman Brenda Hendricks said. West Chester spokesman Bob Shreve said Driscoll suffered a concussion and fractured jaw.

Police reported no arrests and said the fight was under investigation.

Fans in the packed 1,500-seat Cope Hall stormed the court kicking and punching after a Cheyney player was intentionally fouled by a West Chester player. Cheyney's Darryl Oliver grabbed a rebound in front of a vocal Cheyney section and Jeff Minnick fouled him.

"The next thing I knew the people were coming out of the stands after our kids," Driscoll told the Philadelphia Daily News from his hospital bed. "I went to the aid of Johnny Traywick, one of our players. I pulled him back and then I got hit in the back of the head with a chair. Things went from bad to worse after that."

Besides Driscoll, 34, of Bryn Mawr, four other people were treated at hospitals and released, including two West Chester players.

At Riddle, West Chester player Todd Neff was treated for multiple bruises after apparently being kicked, and student manager Thomas Gannon was treated for cuts and facial bruises, Ms. Hendricks said.

Neff's father, Wayne Neff, and West Chester player Jon Traywick received stitches for facial cuts at Chester County Hospital and were released, Shreve said.

The game was suspended, but no plans were immediately announced for it to be concluded. The teams already had played their other scheduled meeting this season.

Heaslip said he knew of no involvement in the brawl by Cheyney players.

"Our coach immediately got everybody from our team over on our bench," he said.