Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive

Where can I get mobile home information?

I plan to buy a mobile home in the next few weeks. Where can I obtain information concerning the integrity of a particular mobile home park, the integrity of the mobile home manufacturer and the setup company, financing and any other consumer advice I might need?Carroll Munshaw

Response: We applaud your efforts to become an educated consumer. Here are some resources available:

Write the Florida Manufactured Housing Association, 115 N Calhoun, Suite 5, Tallahassee 32301 and ask for its free packet of information about what to look for in a mobile home.

Send 50 cents to R. Woods, Consumer Information Center-M, P.O.Box 100, Pueblo, Colo. 81002 and request a copy of a 23-page federal publication entitled How to Buy a Manufactured (Mobile) Home. It includes information about selection, placement, warranties, installation and inspection.

Write the Florida Division of Motor Vehicles, Room A310, Neil Kirkman Building, Tallahassee 32399 and ask for a free copy of its booklet (currently at the printers but available soon), Before You Buy your Mobile Home.

Send a $6 check to the Federation of Mobile Home Owners of Florida Inc. (FMO), 4020 Portsmouth Road, Largo 34641 and ask for a copy of its booklet, The Mobile Homeowners Information Handbook. It containers consumer, taxation, zoning, legal and park ownership information. (If you're a member, the booklet costs $4.)

Call the Bureau of Mobile Homes, 1-800-843-6106 or (813) 272-3845 and ask if it has any complaints on file about a particular mobile home park.

Call the FMO at (813) 530-7539 and ask for the name of the district president in your county. That person may be able to give you information about a particular mobile home park.

And, finally, armed with all this information, visit a cross section of the people who would be your mobile park neighbors and ask questions.

State holds up money

The state of Florida Office of the Comptroller, Abandoned Property, is holding funds that belong to me, $150, and I cannot get them released. My claim was filed Nov. 28, 1989.

The bank account goes back to the early 1970s. Luckily, I have plenty of old receipts to prove my identity and address.

I can understand them being careful, but they are just dragging their feet and have no excuse at all to be holding up my bank balance. Please see what you can do to get these bureaucrats to turn loose of what is not theirs.

Jon Evans

Response: If you think two months is a long time to wait for the rusty wheels of bureaucracy to begin turning, you haven't been reading this column!

Glad to hear you got your money.

Carl Hubbell statistics, please

When and where was the pitcher, Carl Hubbell of the old New York Giants, born?

Paul Ives

Response: Hubbell, whose mastery of the "screwball" made him an outstanding left-handed pitcher of the 1930s, was born in Carthage, Mo., on June 22, 1903. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1947 and died Nov. 21, 1988.

Delayed payment "policy'

I answered a newspaper ad for a job with Certified Marketing Services Inc. and was hired to check videos at Major Video Concepts Inc.

I was to go there on Nov. 17, 1989 ,at 10 a.m. and work until closing at 5 p.m. My job was to count all the Ghostbusters II videos on hand, which was 1,150, and stay there to make certain that none were shipped out until at least the next day. They were to pay me $7 per hour plus mileage.

I did the job, sent in my paper work and waited a week. Then I wrote the company requesting my pay.

They have ignored me completely.

I am retired, on Social Security, and need the money. Can you help me?

Warren G. Duerr

Response: Certified Marketing says it is their policy to pay field employees four to six weeks after the reports are received. So you should have received your check.

Can you imagine the reaction you'd get if you said you had a policy of waiting six weeks to pay your bills?